Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: LED driver compatibility

LED driver compatibility

I’m a new designer looking for information about LED driver compatibility. Does anyone have any information about using a dimmer module with an LED driver? I have to pass my project notes onto an engineering team and want to make sure I’m using the right specs. I know we’ve previously used a phase adaptive driver series, but that doesn’t work with the driver we’re going to be using now. I also know we need something that has 0-100% TRIAC dimming capabilities and can handle about 15 watts.

If anyone can pass on information about a dimmer that meets the specs above, I would love your help!

Tank

Administrator
    Hello Tankled,

Currently there is no industry standard for manufacturing LEDs and LED drivers, so everyone is making them different. This makes it hard for Lutron to design a dimming control that will work well with all of the LEDs/drivers on the market. With this in mind, Lutron is constantly testing LEDs with our controls to see what is compatible and what is not. The only way we could guarantee a dimming solution would be to have the model number of the driver you would like to use. We would then check to see if it was something we have tested, and if so, we could tell you what controls we have that are compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    Hello Tankled,

Currently there is no industry standard for manufacturing LEDs and LED drivers, so everyone is making them different. This makes it hard for Lutron to design a dimming control that will work well with all of the LEDs/drivers on the market. With this in mind, Lutron is constantly testing LEDs with our controls to see what is compatible and what is not. The only way we could guarantee a dimming solution would be to have the model number of the driver you would like to use. We would then check to see if it was something we have tested, and if so, we could tell you what controls we have that are compatible.
    Thank you for your help, Jai. Well, in the meantime I was told this: "I think what you want is something http://grealpha.com/products/led-dim.../sld-dim-dmx4/ . A dimmer like that DMX dimming module has RGBW color control, 97% efficiency and the 0-100% dimming you need. It also will handle the wattage load you have." ?? Would you like to comment this?

Thanks again!
    Tankled