Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pico 4 button remotes and wiring question

Pico 4 button remotes and wiring question

Hi,

I am a little confused on the functionality of the Pico 4 button remotes; namely PJ2-4B-GWH-L31 and PJ2-4B-GWH-L41. I am building a new house and don’t want the clutter of multiple switches when entering a room. You invariably turn the wrong one on. I like the feature set of Radio RA2, but do not have the budget left to install them. So I was thinking of using the Caseta family of dimmers and Pico remotes.

The question is using Caseta… Take the kitchen; there are 3 different lighting groups; recessed cans for most, pendants over island and recessed cans over sink. How can I control them independently with one remote (single gang box) at multiple locations; near sink, near rear entry and at living room to kitchen transition?

Do I run loads to hidden location like closet and mount all dimmers there and only Pico remotes mounted on the single gang boxes? Caseta does not have hybrid dimmer and remote combination, so I assume the dimmer needs to be hidden.

Really need help ASAP as we are about to do rough wiring of main level where 30 devices are planned on being used

@Addcorp,
    I went through a similar decision point as you years back with my RadioRa1 install. For other rooms I put all the dimmers in banks in my basement stairwell wall. and Keypads outside. worked great.
    However my kitchen had 6 zones - 3 ELV for Island, sink and under cabinet lights. and 3 MLV high hat zones. ended up with a 6 zone grafik eye, 4 scene wireless keypad and 5 scene hard wired keypad with dimmer to control the Grafik Eye. so 3 light switching points in the kitchen with 4 basic scenes. Normal bright, night mode, Island only and custom.

Fast forward to now. rest of my house is on Caseta and the kitchen is still stuck in RadioRa1 land. too pricey and compatibility issues to add RadioRa 2 with Caseta.
    So like you I am thinking of adding 6 dimmers in a central closet and using Scene picos.

So ask yourself how many realistic scene combos you would use. full bright, night mode, Island etc.
    Then pair picos at your selected switch locations. A 4 button scene(3 +off) and a 5 button dimmer. this twin pico setup in each location will give you scene as well as dimming capability - the 5th round button on the 5 button servers as an additional scene.
    You don't need a gang/whole in the wall as you can use the pico wall mount directly on the wall with double sided tape or included anchors. and your dimmers get mounted out of sight in another location.
    and picos are not aesthetically or ergonomically pleasing as the RadioRa see touch stuff. IMHO

My 2 cents.

@OP
    To add , a pico can control one or multiple switches but it's buttons impact ALL dimmers assigned to it. I think think 4 button 2 group is the only exception but it's just an on/off switch.
    One of the experts on the board can clarify correct me ...

Lutron Technical Support
    Also, the PJ2-4B-GWH-L41 only works with Homeworks QS. It won't work with Caseta.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurum View Post
    @OP
    To add , a pico can control one or multiple switches but it's buttons impact ALL dimmers assigned to it. I think think 4 button 2 group is the only exception but it's just an on/off switch.
    One of the experts on the board can clarify correct me ...
    You are correct.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by Blurum View Post
    I think think 4 button 2 group is the only exception but it's just an on/off switch.
    That's not quite right. You can edit all these "On" and "Off" buttons to specify the brightness levels for all attached loads to create any scene you want.