Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiora2 and homekit question

Radiora2 and homekit question

Is available integration between radiora2 and homekit as is for caseta?

At this point no. There are roadblocks that prevent this. Lutron has done all they can for the moment.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    At this point no. There are roadblocks that prevent this. Lutron has done all they can for the moment.
    Care to elaborate?

I've talked to people who are working on the problem. There were plenty of unhappy people when the Connect Bridge was released. I was one of them. I might never get HomeKit with my Connect, but it won't be Lutron's lack of trying (or fault).

And I love the Connect app. Much nicer interface if you ask me.

I don't buy this. There's no reason they can't do this for RR2 when they do for Caseta. I've read the claims by Lutron, but there are very specific guidelines for HomeKit integration that have been out for a couple of years now.

Lutron has done all they can for the moment.
    SanDiegoRep,

I hate to re-ask the same question, but do you care to elaborate? It almost sounds like you are suggesting Lutron has stopped working on integrating RadioRa2 with Homekit. Is that what you are saying? If so, that would be a bit depressing for me. I'm just finishing a 6,000sf remodel where I decided to go with RadioRa2 throughout the house rather than Caseta since I like the look of the RR2 dimmers/switches better. But the integration of RR2 with Homekit/Siri or Echo/Alexa would be THE killer feature that makes all the cost and setup worth it. To be able to use voice control of scenes (lights/shades/thermostats) or individual lights without touching a keypad or phone would be incredible. Usability goes through the roof and the coolness/WAF is off the charts.

Maybe you are not the person to ask and I have seen other posts suggesting that Lutron is giving no additional info if/until Homekit functionality is added. But what I really want to know is simply this: is Lutron still working to add Homekit functionality to RadioRa2 or have they given up and it will never happen? The answer to this question would make it easier to decide whether to transition to another technology that would allow this or to wait it out. Any thoughts?

7. Thanks smart_home_guy thanked for this post
    Likes schalliol liked this post
    schalliol and rayhurst- I have my ways of finding out things happening back at the mothership. I used to work with the local rep when this board wasn't even public yet. Best way for me to put it is this- I was very worried that the Connect Bridge would not be HomeKit compatible after purchasing a bunch for stock and installing one at my own house. Like others on the board here, I was "mildly" irritated that I would not get the functionality that is now native to Caseta. I was able to have my fears lessened after a discussion with someone in the know- not just someone guessing and supposing. There are issues outside of Lutron's perview/control which keeps RR2 from getting HomeKit at this time. I am personally going to wait it out for HomeKit/IFTTT (hoping that becomes a reality!!) to get the official thumbs-up or kaibosh from Lutron before I investigate other avenues. As a distributor, it's a bit easier for me than an integrator that needs to be on the cutting edge/first on the block. I can tell you Lutron has NOT given up on HomeKit. Their demographic is heavily skewed in Apple's favor.

Let's look at the SMB/SMB2 in Caseta. This could be argued the backbone for the Connect, right? Do you believe that after Lutron got basically caught with it's proverbial pants down with the SMB and HomeKit that they would allow the same thing to happen to the Connect Bridge? Again, I am NOT sending my Connects back (even thought I can)- while I am stuck with the first gen SMB's waiting for Android/Alexa users to buy them at a huge discount.

If this sounds like I am partially dodging the question- I am. I have the enviable position of being well connected from my time as the local Lutron rep. Consider it part of my "branding" that I would prefer to keep. I am sorry if you feel I spoke out of turn. Just awful hard to sit back while people are arguing that the product is old/crap/out of touch, when I know that there are things that we are not allowed to know until they are official and work well.

Thanks SanDiegoRep, that is very helpful. I will continue to hold out hope that RR2 will get Homekit capability. I can't imagine why Lutron would not be working around the clock to make this happen. The massive iPhone/Apple user base could dramatically expand demand for RR2 and more importantly, it could severely limit future sales of RR2 if it couldn't tie into Homekit, Alexa or Google Home. Maybe the introduction of iOS 10 and the dedicated Home app will increase exposure to Apple's home automation protocols and put additional pressure on Lutron to find a solution.

Homekit

Quote Originally Posted by rayhurst View Post
    Thanks SanDiegoRep, that is very helpful. I will continue to hold out hope that RR2 will get Homekit capability. I can't imagine why Lutron would not be working around the clock to make this happen. The massive iPhone/Apple user base could dramatically expand demand for RR2 and more importantly, it could severely limit future sales of RR2 if it couldn't tie into Homekit, Alexa or Google Home. Maybe the introduction of iOS 10 and the dedicated Home app will increase exposure to Apple's home automation protocols and put additional pressure on Lutron to find a solution.
    I think it is likely we will see HomeKit on the Connect Bridge, but...

It is my understanding that you have to include a chip for security in your HomeKit device. Just like the first Caseta Smart Bridges, it is my impression that the current Connect Bridge does not contain this chip.

Its a chicken and egg thing. Apple doesn't allow you to say it has HomeKit and include the chip in your shipping product, until they approve your implementation.

so, my guess is that we will see another version of the Connect Bridge, or a major firmware update, if the Apple chip is already in the bridge and lying dormant, when Lutron finishes development and Apple gives the nod.

Patience, grasshopper. Maybe we will hear something new from CEDIA this week.

if the lack of feature support for Connect Bridge vs Caseta is truly "out of Lutron's control", then by definition there is no reason to expect more 3rd party features to ever become available, except by chance circumstance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast