Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Maestro Dimmer

Maestro Dimmer

Hello, I have two three way pole on/off switches for two sets of LED lights on the same connection from the box.

When I install the first Maestro CL Dimmer and the associated three way switch in the correct location the first dimmer set works absolutely perfect with the second set being just on off toggles. When I install a second Maestro CL Dimmer and second companion dimmer in the correct location, replacing the second on off set, the first Maestro dimmer freaks out while the second one works fine.

What would cause this issue?

Administrator
    Hello proxus01,

What appears to be happening is that there is neutral interaction between the 2 lighting circuits. If they share a neutral back to the panel, as one is dimmed, it will back feed power up the neutral to the other circuit. This can result in the flickering that you are experiencing. LEDs typically offer a very low resistive load, so they are more susceptible to this type of interaction.

There are a few ways to combat neutral interaction. The most effective is to run a separate neutral for each lighting circuit back to the panel. It may not be the easiest solution, but it is the most effective. Next would be adding an incandescent bulb to the effected circuit. This will often stabilize the circuit and reduce or eliminate the interaction. The last option would be to replace one of the dimmers with an on/off switch.

I was finally able to get the wiring correct and set both to work with the companion via a FASS pull.

Now 3 of the 8 bulbs buzz. This is getting frustrating. Odd that only 3 buzz, one in particular very loud.

If I remove all three bulbs there is no noise. Also if I put one of quiet bulb into the slot that I removed the loudest, it makes no noise. Even more odd is the fact that the buzzing got worse over a 24 hour period.

Completely confused now as to what is going on with the noise. Right now 3 of the 8 bulbs are unplugged just so it's quiet.

Administrator
    Hello proxus01,

It sounds like 3 buzzing bulbs are likely the issue. Our dimmer is putting the same dimmed signal to every bulb in the circuit. We would suggest taking a non-buzzing bulb and putting it into the socket where a buzzing bulb was. If it doesn't buzz then it confirms that the issue is with those particular bulbs.

Jai

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up reaching out to hyperikon support and they indicated the model number of the led I purchased from Amazon was the old version. They shipped replacement bulbs with the new version and the buzzing went away. Great customer support from hyperikon.

In the end I was able to get compatibility using the lutron macl-153m and hyperikon gu10 mr16 dimmable 2700k led(new version)

Administrator
    Glad you were able to come up with a solution.