Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variables and Conditionals

Variables and Conditionals

Any videos that I could watch to learn more about Variables and Conditional programming? Need help so I do this right. Thank you!
    J. Alexander Luty
    iQ Electronic Interiors, Inc.

What do you need to do ? We can help you in the forum most likely

I have non-Lutron motors that I am controlling. They are for Motorized Shutters and Drapes. I am in HWQS 9.4.0 and using RPM-4M-120 motor modules. Because they are not Lutron devices, I cannot use regular programming according to tech support to control them. I can get them to move, but cannot control them properly. When I spoke with tech support, they said I would need several things. I would need one button to open/raise and one button to close/lower. I would need a variable that would allow the button to be pushed only if the motor/s were stopped. He said the dual action button would allow for this on the press, then release.

So what I have done is added a variable for STOP and RUN. STOP being the default right now, but maybe RUN should be the default? I then did a conditional button for Opening a Shutter. On the press it says IF "STOP-RUN" IS "STOP" THEN RUN "ACTION 1". Action 1 sets the variable to RUN and then sends the Raise command. On the release I have added a delay - which for now is 20 seconds, but will change as needed, and then RUN ACTION 2 which Sends a STOP command to the motor and then after a 2 second delay, sets the variable to STOP. This should allow the shutter to open completely and not allow the close button to work until the delay in the release is complete.

Any assistance or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    J. Alexander Luty

Who's Motors are the ? Are they 110v Motors. Are they 3 Wire Motors where power is applied to 1 wire for open and a different wire to close. Basically when using a 4M module to run shades or shutters it is all based on a run time in seconds. Since there is no feed back from these motors you generally pick a run time that is close to how long it will take the motor to open or close. The limits of the motors are handled from with in the motor. The 4M motor module has the inter lock built into the module. A little more info on the scenario would help

Don't know the brand, but they are 3 wire motors and act as described. I thought the limits and the 4m modules would take care of not being able to hit open and close at the same time. But yesterday on the phone the tech guy said it didn't and I needed the variable and conditional programming to make sure. If I don't need that, then I just need one button for open and one for close maybe with a stop added after a delay?
    J. Alexander Luty

The 4M has no limits it has an interlock that will not allow power to go to open and close at the same time. The open and close limits are handled with in the motor. You can program your buttons several ways. None need variables or conditional for standard operation.When I do shutters such as hurricane shutters with 3 wire motors I use 3 buttons. All programed as single action. 1 open. 2 close 3 stop. You can choose to also use 1 button type open/stop/close/stop that should also work. Keep in mind the when you press the open power is applied through the 4M for as long as you have the Time To Off programed on the specific load. You need to go to the load choose customize column and check off under motors Time To Run. What ever you program there is how long the the contact stays closed and applies power It needs to be long enough for the travel time of motor. Once the run time has expired the interlock on the 4M is opened and a close command can be sent or vise versa.

Ok, great info. I see what I need to test. Going to try the open/stop/close/stop with the Time To Run modification. If that works well I'll do that and if not then I'll just do the Single Press buttons. Glad I don't need all the variable and conditional stuff that I wasted time figuring out.
    J. Alexander Luty

Let me know if it all works out

Also it is explained here that they have a mechanical interlock. Not sure what the tech was talking about Maybe he thought you were trying to do something different.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...er_modules.pdf

10. Likes iQAlex liked this post
    So the single action buttons work fine with me setting the Time To Run. However, the Open/Stop/Close/Stop doesn't. The most it gives me is a incredibly short movement then nothing for several button pushes. Going to try a few things and see what works. If any suggestions for the Open/Stop/Close/Stop, please let me know as this would be the best option.
    J. Alexander Luty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast