Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Emergency Power settings

Angry Emergency Power settings

Why does the Emergency settings in Tools>Project Settings>Loads not set the Emergency level project wide when specified? I had a job where the homeowner wanted the lights to stay off after a power outage (until the processor started communicating). Honestly I've never changed this setting before, but someone told him it was an option, so I looked in the Project Settings and there it was. So I changed every type of load to 0%. Well within a few days another power outage, and the loads came back on at 100%!

After digging around on the Design>Loads screen I found the individual load Emergency settings via the Customize Columns button (Why isnt this enabled by default? There are other useless columns that are enabled by default and since there is NO HELP FILE for HWQS one would not think to look there). I had to then individually set about 150 loads to Emergency 0%. In Illumination this was clearly visible.

My problem is if I set it in the Project Settings, it should apply PROJECT WIDE. Why does it not work this way??? And can someone please explain the "NO" option in the Emergency level setting? 0-100% makes sense- what the heck does "NO" mean?

And again I've said it countless times on here, on the phone with support reps, and to various Lutron reps and support people at the training roadshows- WHY ISNT THERE A HELP FILE FOR THIS SOFTWARE??? The only options offered up are phone support- which isn't always the most timely option, and this forum- which aside from some knowledgeable and helpful people here is always a crap shoot of hopefully finding the answer you need by searching or waiting what can be days for a Lutron Rep to respond. When I could have easily found the answer in a help file.

Hello johnmax,
    Thank you for your post.
    Please allow me some time to gather the information you require in regards to your concerns.

Hello Johnmax,
    Thank you for your feedback in regards to the software. I have ensured that the appropriate teams review this post in an effort to improve the software in the future. All of your above concerns are being taken into consideration.

The MIs will interpret the NO and 0% as 100% since they do not recognize those commands. In order to work around the issue, set the loads that you don't want to come on at 1%. I doubt the client would notice the loads at 1% for most of their lighting during a brief outage. It certainly shouldn't wake them up in the middle of the night if power were lost.

Wait- my setting of 0% that I put in isnt going to work and will in turn set the loads to 100%????!!!!

If so how broken is this software that 0% = 100%??? Even if I painstakingly go thru and set all these loads to 1%, how is this an acceptable workaround? What about loads that have LEDS that dont dim below a certain percentage? These will still appear to be on!

Youve gotta be kidding me with this. Improve the software in the future? How about fixing it now. How has this bug gone unnoticed?

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. View Post
    Hello Johnmax,
    Thank you for your feedback in regards to the software. I have ensured that the appropriate teams review this post in an effort to improve the software in the future. All of your above concerns are being taken into consideration.

The MIs will interpret the NO and 0% as 100% since they do not recognize those commands. In order to work around the issue, set the loads that you don't want to come on at 1%. I doubt the client would notice the loads at 1% for most of their lighting during a brief outage. It certainly shouldn't wake them up in the middle of the night if power were lost.

johnmax,
    The No option is an indicator for you the programmer to know that this load is not an emergency load. The need for this originally came from DALI load types. The system is still sending the command to send the load to 100% when the No option is used. Although if the said load was not powered from emergency power during the emergency condition the load would not turn on of course.

I was incorrect in that 0% should send your lighting to off. If you are experiencing problems with loads not turning off when communication is lost to the processor and after the panel is power cycled, then please send me a support file for review to hwsupport@lutron.com. Please ensure you provide a description of the problem and add any other useful information that is not currently in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. View Post
    I was incorrect in that 0% should send your lighting to off.
    So you mean 0% WILL turn the lighting off in emergency mode? That is all i need to happen, and is how I would expect it to work.

johnmax,
    Yes, that is correct. Send in that support file if you are experiencing otherwise.
    Thanks again.