Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Smart-Bridge Pro's in a single home

Just wait for iOS10 /tvOS10

Quote Originally Posted by Justin.coolDallas View Post
    Zach,

I did some light testing this weekend of a two SmartBridge 2 Pro configuration. Basic set up went just fine, I had at least 2 Lutron Caseta devices / accessories on each Bridge.

Using two different apps:
    1. Eve from ElGato
    2. Home - Smart Home Automation from Matthias H.

I was able to successfully set up and operate a cross bridge scene. By that I mean a scene that contained accessories from each of the two bridges. In this case there was an in wall dimmer w/ Pico remote on Bridge #1 and a plug-in module w/ Pico remote on Bridge #2.

Everything appeared to be working just fine in this very limited config. The fact that there were two bridges was pretty transparent to me, except when doing the initial setup of each device.

These two bridges cover about 75% of my home very well. I have ordered a third bridge to cover the workshop and garage.

Annoying Issue: Within HomeKit, there appears to be a rule that triggers and timers are NOT shared across devices. Meaning that any triggers / timers that I set up on my iPhone will only execute IF my iPhone has access to my network.....ie the devices to be controlled are "reachable". Since I travel a lot, and am not always connected, this seems to be a real shortcoming. Some other forums intimated that Apple may eventually fix this by having the option to put timers / triggers onto your AppleTV, which is required for HomeKit remote access anyway.

If this is not fixed by this or another methond, then I will have to have a dedicated iPad / iPhone just for HomeKit.........not very attractive.

Any insight into a solution / work around for this would be appreciated. (Short of waiting for Apple to roll out that capability.........)!!!!

Justin in Dallas
    In tvOS 10 and iOS 10 your problems are solved.
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/710/

"Second on platform is remote access and automation. With tvOS 10, we are extending the cable, capabilities on the Apple TV so that in addition to remote access, now the Apple TV runs all the automations that the user has set up for their home. Yeah, that's great because now no matter where the user is, the virtual part of the world, they can be rest assured that all the automations now run from their Apple TV at their homes. Apple TV also enables for additional controls for shared users."

2. Thanks Zach R. thanked for this post
    Justin,

What are you using for pool pump control?

ostlund,

This house had a complete Jandy system with a single remote. No WiFi / internet enabled anything. I am just now looking in to upgrading to the Jandy IQ system with complete control from my smart devices.

Justin

Pool Control

ostlund,

I have just come across an Autelis product that could be a lot cheaper and more reliable. It is worth checking out.

Justin

Dear Ostlund,

I have now spent some time looking into Autelis. They certainly appear to be a superior solution. The cost is on the order of $250. These guys publish their API. There is a plug in for multiple controllers, including HomeSeer. This is a no-brainer.....just have to make sure the hardware reliability is there.

Justin

Justin,

How is everything going? I'm also considering deploying Caseta switches in my new ~4000 sq. ft home, but I am really concerned about the limited range. If I can deploy multiple bridges, this may eliminate my concern. I'm likely going to be running HomeAssistant for my HA software/hub, so I'll need to see if it has support for multiple bridges. I see that HomeSeer can support up to 4 bridges.. have you had a chance to demo/use this software?

If Caseta doesn't work out for me, I'll likely just go with Z-Wave switches (like the Homeseer HS-WD100+). It's a bummer that ClearConnect doesn't form a mesh network between devices like Zigbee/Z-Wave.

Thanks!

LollerAgent,

Things are working very well thank you. I have 3 bridges for the 5000 sq ft house and things are solid as a rock. However, that said, there are some non-Lutron product issues that have made things a bit tedious and occasionally frustrating. But once again they are not a Lutron issue. For more info, message me at justin.cool@att.net, would be glad to discuss.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by LollerAgent View Post
    Justin,

How is everything going? I'm also considering deploying Caseta switches in my new ~4000 sq. ft home, but I am really concerned about the limited range. If I can deploy multiple bridges, this may eliminate my concern. I'm likely going to be running HomeAssistant for my HA software/hub, so I'll need to see if it has support for multiple bridges. I see that HomeSeer can support up to 4 bridges.. have you had a chance to demo/use this software?

If Caseta doesn't work out for me, I'll likely just go with Z-Wave switches (like the Homeseer HS-WD100+). It's a bummer that ClearConnect doesn't form a mesh network between devices like Zigbee/Z-Wave.

Thanks!
    No mesh, but remember that you can now use 1 "lamp dimmer" plug as a range extender. In theory you now have 80-100' from the hub.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    No mesh, but remember that you can now use 1 "lamp dimmer" plug as a range extender. In theory you now have 80-100' from the hub.
    The total distance from the bridge would only be 60ft. The PD-3PCL-WH lamp dimmer has to be within 30ft from the bridge, and it transmits an additional 30ft out from it.

Quote Originally Posted by LollerAgent View Post
    Justin,

Thanks!
    I just put in some Caseta Dimmers Lamp and wall in my home. I was a little worried about the distance also. My home is 6800 and very long. My internet comes in to an area about 2/3 down the house. I put the SmartBridge (Not a Pro) at that location. My Master is on that end of the house. Master lamps on the end wall worked perfectly. Since I have lamp dimmers (which one can ne an extender, first one plugged in) I wanted to put it as far as I can so that then I possibly could get across patio to pool house. I went to the other end of the house and plugged it in at the furthest outlet close to that end of the house. And it was found. So basically I think one bridge would have covered my house at least first floor. Haven't seen how far I can go from there in the pool house yet, and i haven't done much on the second floor to test that. But I was quite surprised at how far it reached. I would say my house is 80+ long. And the distance from my Bridge to the other end of house is 60 ft.

So basically now the device limit of 50 is the big issue! LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast