Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Processor internal battery?

Processor internal battery?

At a recent roadshow, on the topic of upgrading people to QS, I heard a Lutron person say something to the effect of "Once that internal battery goes, they are in trouble". Not really a great sales pitch to tell a customer that they upgrade or they're screwed, but what is this internal battery and why have I never heard of it before anytime before that? Is it a battery that can just be replaced from the drugstore?

This sort of thing keeps me up at night.

For the HomeWorks Interactive processors, they needed an internal battery to keep the memory. Once this goes, it loses all its programming and operating system every time the power goes out or if you try to power cycle the processor. I found this on a system that was over 15 years old. While it wasn't a great thing to tell a customer, what product that is 15 plus years old should still work perfectly? Especially in the electronic arena. I am currently trying to finish the upgrade to QS which is a nice amount of work.
    J. Alexander Luty
    iQ Electronic Interiors, Inc.

So it's not for the Illuminations? I get that things shouldn't be expected to work perfectly after 15 years, BUT there is a big difference between "perfectly" and your entire house being in the dark unless you spend another $60,000. I wouldn't want to be on that service call, especially if it's an owner who just bought the house and had no idea the system would need maintenance. Also, part of my sales pitch to customers when choosing Lutron's stuff is that unlike all the Winks, smartthings, etc. that are out today and no history of success, Lutron's premium products are built to be part of the fixture of the house. Luckily for me, I've only had one service call for an HWI system in the last 6 years so if that same customer calls me out, I could stop by Best Buy and get them an UPS and set them back up until they decide whether to spend the real money or live in fear.

Not sure about Illuminations - just know that it happened on one job for Interactive. I understand your point. My customer was not left in the dark, but did need to upgrade an old system.
    J. Alexander Luty
    iQ Electronic Interiors, Inc.

That's good that your customers weren't in the dark! There is no worse feeling for me to be called to a house and nothing works unless a processor is changed or something worse. I've had to do that with another system a few times and people naturally assume a contractor is trying to rip them off.

I have changed a couple of these batteries. They can be found online and anyone handy with a soldering iron can change it.

Good to know that's an option though I'd be hesitant to do that myself unless it was an extreme case. I know a guy who has to do these sort of repairs for Lite Touch systems now that they're closed down.

Processor Memory Internal Battery

Quote Originally Posted by george f View Post
    I have changed a couple of these batteries. They can be found online and anyone handy with a soldering iron can change it.

George, can you tell me the type of battery you have found that work and where I can get them. Greatly appreciated!

I recently replaced a battery for HWI-PM-D48-120 processor (Homeworks Interactive). The Lutron tech support was very helpful and identified the battery type, TL-5135, made y Tadiran. It is available from Amazon. I ordered one from Digi-Key Electronics for about $13 plus tax and shipping. The battery in purple color about 1.3 inch in diameter is located on the left side of the main board, about Bus 1, 2 and Link 3. You can see it once you open the processor box. The battery is connected to the board with three pins. If you know how to desolder and solder, this should be a quick and easy task. If you don't done so, ask your friend or someone to help. Or, like me, you can learn how to do it with a youtube video. Desoldering can be tricky. Practice makes perfection. And you need the right tools. Note that Lutron doesn't provide support or warranty for replacing the battery. So you do it at your own risk.

Once I replaced the battery, I had to upload the OS to the processor by following the steps below.
    1. Set the DIP switch to OS upload (S1-1 up position)
    2. Connect your PC to the processor on Bus Link 3 via RS232
    3. Once connected, run upload OS in the Terminal Programming
    4. Power off the processor. Reset the DIP to normal mode (S1-1 down position)
    5. Power on the processor. Upload your project and test.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lutron hwi processor battery.JPG   Homeworks Programming.JPG  

10. Thanks Sam7806, SparkyCoog thanked for this post
    Likes cabethesda liked this post
    Wow that is very detailed, thank you! I had no idea you would have to reupload the OS again too. I doubt that I would end up doing this but it's good to give the customer (especially one who bought the house with this in it and can't afford a complete system) to at least try the cheaper route.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast