Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maestro Companion dimmer works only when pressed

Maestro Companion dimmer works only when pressed

I just hooked up a master dimmer and the companion dimmer. The master dimmer works as expected. The companion dimmer will turn on/off the light only when it's pressed. So it literally turns them off and then back on. If I hold the companion dimmer button down, the lights would stay off until I released it.

I undid the Lutron devices and just hooked up plain old 3-ways the same way and it works great. Redid the maestro and same problem.

Would love to know how to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks!

Update:

The companion dimmer will not turn on the lights even while it's being pressed if the lights were already off. It will only turn the the lights off if they were already on (and still just while its depressed). If the lights are on 100% power the companion dimmer will dim the lights to about 50% the first time it's pressed. Then will continue the behavior of only completely turning out the lights for the split second it's pushed or if holding the button.

-Klaman

Sounds like you have them wired incorrectly, so that the actual dimmer is before the companion and is dimming the line that's going to the companion. The companion needs to be on the line (breaker) end of the wire and the dimmer needs to be at the load end.

It would help if you posted the actual part numbers of the devices.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
    Sounds like you have them wired incorrectly, so that the actual dimmer is before the companion and is dimming the line that's going to the companion. The companion needs to be on the line (breaker) end of the wire and the dimmer needs to be at the load end.

It would help if you posted the actual part numbers of the devices.
    I do indeed have the companion receiving the load. The instructions said it didn't matter which went where. I guess they meant IF you switched the wiring to accommodate that ;). I will switch the wiring and see what happens!

Thank you, sir!

Never mind. Same issue. On my phone and can't figure out how to attach images to this post. I'll try to post something later today when I get on my computer.

6. Thanks zhanxw thanked for this post
    Likes zhanxw liked this post
    Administrator
    Hello MKlaman,

It sounds like the master control is programmed to work with a mechanical switch. Go to to the master control and hold the tap switch, and up on the dimming rocker at the same time until an LED starts to blink, then release. If the bottom LED is blinking, tap the up button on the dimming rocker once so the blinking led is in the middle. Once the middle LED is blinking, tap the tap switch once to get out of programming mode. Let us know if this works.

8. Thanks zhanxw thanked for this post
    Likes zhanxw liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    Hello MKlaman,

It sounds like the master control is programmed to work with a mechanical switch. Go to to the master control and hold the tap switch, and up on the dimming rocker at the same time until an LED starts to blink, then release. If the bottom LED is blinking, tap the up button on the dimming rocker once so the blinking led is in the middle. Once the middle LED is blinking, tap the tap switch once to get out of programming mode. Let us know if this works.
    It worked! I could cry from both the excitement and the fact that it was as simple as that. *sigh*

THANK YOU!!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mklaman View Post
    It worked! I could cry from both the excitement and the fact that it was as simple as that. *sigh*

THANK YOU!!
    You're welcome. I am glad that it worked for you.

Thanks a Million

Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    You're welcome. I am glad that it worked for you.
    I registered on the site just to say Thanks a million to Jai. H for the perfect answer and mklaman for asking the question with right words. I spend HOURS on the product manual and YouTube videos to figure out this problem. Finally successful.

I feel exactly the same. Thank you @Jai.H
    Quote Originally Posted by willsl View Post
    I registered on the site just to say Thanks a million to Jai. H for the perfect answer and mklaman for asking the question with right words. I spend HOURS on the product manual and YouTube videos to figure out this problem. Finally successful.
    - - - Updated - - -

I feel exactly the same. Thank you @Jai.H
    Quote Originally Posted by willsl View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast