Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Could the "favorite" / preset issue be resolved via firmware?

Could the "favorite" / preset issue be resolved via firmware?

New to the forum. Considering integrating Caseta throughout our entire house. As many have noted, the lack of remembering previous/favorite dim level on the dimmer switches is a major drawback and probably a dealbreaker for me (I know the pico can do this but I can't put a pico next to every dimmer switch).

Question is: is this something that could be updated via firmware (on hub or switches - I don't know how this works)? In which case I would invest in current hardware and hope this gets released... or would this be a hardware change if it ever comes about? In which case I will keep waiting...

Thanks!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for the feedback. This is something that would require a hardware change. It is one of our backlog items.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. This is something that would require a hardware change. It is one of our backlog items.
    Thanks, Eric. Appreciate the update.

I would love to see this as well. Our home currently has all Maestro dimmers. I've purchased a starter Caseta kit to test out. So far, it's pretty good but the one feature I really miss is the ability to remember the previous dim level.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapi View Post
    I would love to see this as well. Our home currently has all Maestro dimmers. I've purchased a starter Caseta kit to test out. So far, it's pretty good but the one feature I really miss is the ability to remember the previous dim level.
    Did the same thing, tried out the Caseta kit, like it, but waiting for the dim level remember ability to be added before rolling this out to the rest of the house.

Looks like there'll be a new version of the dimmer switch that includes a "favorites" button, mirroring the Pico remote:
    https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...tch-for-Caseta!

I think it's great that Lutron added this feature. However, while I can see why they chose to mirror the Pico remote, I was hoping for a more elegant implementation. Having 5 buttons on a light switch looks a bit overwhelming, especially in a 2- or 3-gang plate. It turns the casual act of turning a light switch on and off into one that requires aim and thought. I worry this would become annoying after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapi View Post
    I think it's great that Lutron added this feature. However, while I can see why they chose to mirror the Pico remote, I was hoping for a more elegant implementation. Having 5 buttons on a light switch looks a bit overwhelming, especially in a 2- or 3-gang plate. It turns the casual act of turning a light switch on and off into one that requires aim and thought. I worry this would become annoying after a while.
    Agreed. While I prefer the simplicity of the Maestro/RA switches, matching the Pico makes sense when mixing and matching switches and Picos in a multi-gang box (which I've done in several places in my home). It's hard to say whether guests would be more confused by a Caseta/Pico dimmer or a Maestro/RA dimmer. Since guests typically aren't concerned with dimming, I suspect the Maestro/RA dimmers would be more intuitive for them.

can the switch send a signal to the hub when turned on and the hub automatically dim the brightness per setting?

Quote Originally Posted by llluuullluuu View Post
    can the switch send a signal to the hub when turned on and the hub automatically dim the brightness per setting?
    Good thought! Assuming the delay wouldn't be too bad that seems like it should be doable.