Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: From LiteTouch to RadioRA2

From LiteTouch to RadioRA2

I came across this property and from the images below it seems to me the Owner had installed a LiteTouch lighting control system. After basic research, it appears LiteTouch keypads and fixtures are all specially wired from rooms to a central location. If that is the case, is it fair to assume it is not possible to retrofit this with RadioRA2 keypads (and adding LMJ modules in the central location), unless we undertake major electrical work behind walls?
    Thank you all for any insights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5770.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5791.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	517

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    With the wiring that is used for Lite Touch systems you can use app note 406 for power the RF keypads.

http://www.lutron.com/PasswordProtec...%20keypads.pdf

Since Lite Touch is a panel based system you would need to place all the dimmers where the old panel was located, or modify the home wiring to have the dimmers installed through out the house. Since all the loads were landed at the panel I would suggest keeping the dimmers/WPMs/Grafikeyes in the central location then have the keypads powered through the low voltage wire.

We also have an app note on replacing Lite Touch systems with Homeworks QS.

http://www.lutron.com/PasswordProtec...ch_Systems.pdf

3. Thanks Dimerize thanked for this post
    Likes Dimerize liked this post
    Dimerize,

I am in the process of also converting a Litetouch to Lutron. In this case its a QS System. I'm co-oping with another dealer since I'm not a Homeworks dealer. RA2 won't work since it's panelized lighting. Feel free to email me with any experiences if you think we can help each other.

David Groves High IQ Homes of Texas, LLC david.groves11@gmail.com

5. Thanks Dimerize thanked for this post
    Thanks Mike S. for your insights. As usual you have been very helpful in this Community. Talk soon hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGroves View Post
    Dimerize,

I am in the process of also converting a Litetouch to Lutron. In this case its a QS System. I'm co-oping with another dealer since I'm not a Homeworks dealer. RA2 won't work since it's panelized lighting. Feel free to email me with any experiences if you think we can help each other.

David Groves High IQ Homes of Texas, LLC david.groves11@gmail.com
    David, will do. I'll write whenever I get my hands deep into this retrofit project. Thanks for opening the channel.
    Last edited by Rob L.; 10-28-2016 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Personal info removed at member's request.

Bernard,

So far I've gone over the Litetouch system that is currently installed. I took pictures of each enclosure and downloaded the Liteware program from Savant to see how the loads are assigned. In Lutron Designer I've built a QS system with the same rooms and loads. Initially I specified a 5 module enclosure (20 Loads) until I realized that Litetouch's enclosure holds 4 modules (24 loads). My Lutron rep said this is a good starting point since there is some deratingiof the loads in the Litetouch enclosure.

I meet with him tomorrow to determine my next steps but I think I'll modify the enclosures to the 8 module model and only add 6 modules. Will update.

9. Thanks Dimerize thanked for this post
    Likes Dimerize liked this post
    I finished most of the Litetouch to Lutron Conversion about a month ago. The system I replaced was about 22 years old and the homeowner was frequently rebooting the processor. Despite the fact that we verified the loads two times we still ran into some stray loads that took several hours to track down. Over the years lighting system changes were made but not well documented. Once all the loads were properly assigned I began programming with the client over the course of three evenings. I did it with him present since i removed about 5 excess keypads from the system. Some were 9 button and some were less so we had to recreate scenes that were commonly used.

The other day I inquired about engraving and he's wanting to make changes, which I expected.

Lessons learned:
    1. Document Loads
    2. Test Loads and verify wattage
    3. Prior to programming review Litetouch scenes for clients lighting preferences.
    4. Don't rush engraving or programming-Change is inevitable.