Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Leds dim fine but flicker on highest settings

Leds dim fine but flicker on highest settings

Hi -

I just installed the SELV-300P-WH dimmer on my LED lights. The LED's are powered by 9W dimmable drivers. The first room has two of these LED fixtures, and the second room has 4.

The lights dim fine and everything works until I get to the higher setting of the dimmer. They then have a subtle flicker that is really annoying. Do you have any suggestions on how to get rid of this flicker? We need to turn our lights all the way up if need be so just dealing with the flickering is not an option.

Am I using the wrong dimmer?

Thanks!

Administrator
    Hello rcromer,

In order to determine compatibility between the dimmer and the LEDs, we would need to know the model number of the LEDs/driver that you are trying to dim. With this information, we could check to see if it's been tested by Lutron.

Hi -

The driver is a Triac Dimmer Constant Current. LED Driver: KY0515ABLACK. Does that info help?

Administrator
    According to the following test report from Crestron, it looks as though that driver is a forward phase driver. The SELV dimmer that you are using is a reverse phase dimmer. It also mentions on that report that reverse phase dimming will cause flicker. We would recommend putting a forward phase dimmer on that circuit. Unfortunately we are unable to recommend a dimmer that will work because we have not tested that particular driver. We would suggest contacting Crestron to see if they can recommend the correct dimmer for that driver.

http://www.crestron.com/downloads/pd...sults/1749.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    According to the following test report from Crestron, it looks as though that driver is a forward phase driver. The SELV dimmer that you are using is a reverse phase dimmer. It also mentions on that report that reverse phase dimming will cause flicker. We would recommend putting a forward phase dimmer on that circuit. Unfortunately we are unable to recommend a dimmer that will work because we have not tested that particular driver. We would suggest contacting Crestron to see if they can recommend the correct dimmer for that driver.

http://www.crestron.com/downloads/pd...sults/1749.pdf
    Wait- Lutron is recommending a Crestron dimmer???

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmax View Post
    Wait- Lutron is recommending a Crestron dimmer???
    I see how it seems like Lutron is recommending Crestron dimming controls. When I did an online search for the model number provided for that driver, the only link that I felt helped was the test report from Crestron. Initially I assumed it was a Crestron driver, and they were recommending not to use and ELV control. Upon closer examination I realize that I was mistaken. Looking a little further, I was still unable to determine the manufacturer of the driver.

The original poster will need to see if he can contact the manufacturer of the driver, perhaps there is a name on the driver itself? Since we have not tested it, we cannot recommend a dimmer that will have a guaranteed performance. All we have to go by is Crestron's report, and that says not to use an ELV dimmer.

I apologize for the confusion.