Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New Radio RA 2 Thormostat?

New Radio RA 2 Thormostat?

Hi,

Is there a new RadioRA2 compatible thermostat coming out?

I don't remember there ever being a "Lutron Wireless Thermostat" option. See under temperature control

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products...omponents.aspx

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello Yetis,

This Lutron Wireless Thermostat is our new Lutron/Honeywell co-branded WiFi Thermostat option. It does not go directly into RadioRA 2 or HomeWorks QS but can be added through Honeywell's Total Connect Comfort cloud service which is accessible through our new Lutron Connect app. This provides basic control of your HVAC system through our app only at this time (control up or down of set-points). It has been available to the Caseta system for a few months but when we launched the Connect Bridge at the beginning of May it allowed us to start including it in RadioRA 2 and HomeWorks QS systems through the Connect Bridge/App.

Fair enough. I would suggest that you clarify that. Doesn't that mean the connectivity is different? I could be entirely incorrect here, but aren't the other RA2 thermostat units connected to the "network" via your Clear Connect technology? Is it incorrect for me to place a preference on the Clear Connect tech vs. wifi. Isn't it marketed as a more stable frequency? There are a host of things that can bring down your wifi, even if your using top of the end hardware. When I tell people about RA2, I emphasize the Clear Connect, especially for mission critical things such as remote access to HVAC, etc.

Personally, the new Lutron Connect app/Bridge seems a little "work in progress" at this point. I certainly wouldn't be using it as a backbone for any system a this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetis View Post
    Personally, the new Lutron Connect app/Bridge seems a little "work in progress" at this point. I certainly wouldn't be using it as a backbone for any system a this point.
    The Connect Bridge is an adjunct to the Main Repeater. The MR is still the backbone, the CB is just another user interface for cloud access (like Caseta). I personally prefer the Connect app over the original. Having a "home page" to easily access the few scenes and devices I use constantly is very nice.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by Yetis View Post
    Fair enough. I would suggest that you clarify that. Doesn't that mean the connectivity is different? I could be entirely incorrect here, but aren't the other RA2 thermostat units connected to the "network" via your Clear Connect technology? Is it incorrect for me to place a preference on the Clear Connect tech vs. wifi. Isn't it marketed as a more stable frequency? There are a host of things that can bring down your wifi, even if your using top of the end hardware. When I tell people about RA2, I emphasize the Clear Connect, especially for mission critical things such as remote access to HVAC, etc.

This is a very important point! I believe if you use this new thermostat you loose the away mode features to change Hvac and time clock settings in a single button press. This is a huge step backwards not a step forwards.

6. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Yes, I have a Lutron 9000 that looked like it was going to be compatible, and I can see it in the app, but I was mystified to find out that Lutron didn't make it possible for the system to tell it to react to time clock events and modes. I sure sure sure hope they fix that. I shouldn't have replaced the TouchPro in that zone. It's just silly to use the new Lutron thermostat or these Honeywell or Nest thermostats - this is not integration.