Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4-way wiring Help (Caseta PKG1W-WH-R)

Question 4-way wiring Help (Caseta PKG1W-WH-R)

I need some help with figuring out how/if this switch will work in he 4-way wiring scheme that I have, I know I will just use 1 Caseta Dimmer with 2 Picos. I have glanced at the Advanced Installation guide about the 4-way installation but the wiring situation I have appears to be different from the guide. It appears the guide is showing you how to install the switch if the SOURCE power is coming into the switch first and then flowing to the light fixtures. In my case (at least from what I have found on the internet as I am no electrician) the SOURCE power goes through the lights first and then to the switch so the wiring is different.
    Here is an example diagram I found on the internet that matches what I have connecting to my current 4-way setup.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring-a-4-way-switch.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	514
    (if the picture doesn't work or is not big enough here is the link http://www.easy-do-it-yourself-home-...g-diagram.html and it is "Option #1 Power from light fixture to switch")

Is it possible to use one of these switches in this configuration to control LED can lights?

Thanks
    Matt

You'll need to tie the power through on two of the switches and install your dimmer on one of them. Use two picos to cover the other two switches. The dimmer in that package cannot use regular switches as a three way.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    You'll need to tie the power through on two of the switches and install your dimmer on one of them. Use two picos to cover the other two switches. The dimmer in that package cannot use regular switches as a three way.
    Thanks for the reply....but Remember, you are talking to someone who doesn't know a ton about Electrical wiring when it comes to these 4-way setups. Can you give me an example of "tie the power through on two switches" based on the diagram in the original post? Such as which wires get capped together to make that "tie"?

It would be a wire nut to make the connection. I myself work on my own house, but never anyone else's. I'm not an electrician, I just play one on TV. If you are unsure of it, the safest way is a service call to an electrician. Probably run a few dollars, but he might show you a trick or two. If you start having issues with the wiring, you'll have to call one anyway. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Lutron Technical Support
    If this picture does represent your house wiring, the truely easiest method you be to put the dimmer in the first position on the left, and put the Picos in the other middle and right locations.

One quick way to test this first would be to take the black and white wires coming from the light and cap them together. If your breaker trips, then the picture doesn't represent your house's wiring, and you may want to consult an electrican. If the light comes on without tripping the breaker, follow my directions below.

Left box:
    1. Take the black and white wires coming down from the light and attach them to the black wires of the dimmer. Cap the house black to one black dimmer wire, and cap the house white to the other black dimmer wire. It doesn't matter which black dimmer wire goes to which house wire, because they are interchangable.
    2. Cap all 3 remaining wires (from the 3-wire cable that runs to the other box) together.

Middle box: Cap all wires of the same color together (black to black, white to white, red to red). Put a pico over top of this.

Right box: Cap all 3 wires together. Put a Pico over top of this.

6. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post