Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Database connection failure

Quote Originally Posted by Corey S. View Post
    SparkyCoog,
    Additionally, its in the nature of how the software GUI tries to talk to the Main Repeater(s)/ Bridge on the network that causes you to run into this problem. The software is treated as an inbound request to target an IP address on the network. Typically speaking, Windows and networking firewalls would not upfront allow this unless the device itself on the network (the Main Repeater) tried going outbound (which would allow the port communication since the existing device on the network is requesting it). Lutron processors, so Main Repeaters or a Homework's HQP6-2, do not continuously request to the router to allow access.

Its sort of a catch 22.
    Either have the processors flood the network to ensure the communication is always allowed, or, temporarily manage the firewall to make it easier for the inbound access from the GUI to start up the communication.

Either way there is some form of a problem that could potentially exist.

Hope this helped shed some light.
    I don't want to hijack this thread since I started another one, but this still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you answered the question and I'm not an IT guy and don't get it but in my case, I had a system with only 2 switches and one keypad along with a standard router I take with me on job sites. The router had perhaps the most widely used local IP setup: 192.168.1.xxx and the main repeater was supposedly brand new. My laptop is also less than 3 months old so the networking or my equipment was not the issue and yet, the Main Repeater was completely invisible to the Radio Ra software even though the router had given it a local IP. The tech support guy who sounded like he went through this a dozen times a day told me it was happening because my local IPs didn't match the local ip's in the router so the firewall wasn't letting it connect. Why would a new main repeater out of the box come with its own random fake IP address and force me to disable all firewalls, connect directly, setup a static IP, etc. etc. just to get it to make the repeater visible? I've dealt with this 2 or 3 times now and other times it finds the repeater just fine.

From my experience with pretty much any other network device be it a printer, camera, etc. would have to do is scan the local network to recognize the processor and establish a connection. At the VERY least, if it can't find the device, it should allow me to manually type in the IP address for it but all of that was greyed out. I don't get it. Every other automation system I have used would let me at least type in the IP address of the processor and some even have LCD screens on the processor so I could set it up manually without even needing the software.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    I don't want to hijack this thread since I started another one, but this still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you answered the question and I'm not an IT guy and don't get it but in my case, I had a system with only 2 switches and one keypad along with a standard router I take with me on job sites. The router had perhaps the most widely used local IP setup: 192.168.1.xxx and the main repeater was supposedly brand new. My laptop is also less than 3 months old so the networking or my equipment was not the issue and yet, the Main Repeater was completely invisible to the Radio Ra software even though the router had given it a local IP. The tech support guy who sounded like he went through this a dozen times a day told me it was happening because my local IPs didn't match the local ip's in the router so the firewall wasn't letting it connect. Why would a new main repeater out of the box come with its own random fake IP address and force me to disable all firewalls, connect directly, setup a static IP, etc. etc. just to get it to make the repeater visible? I've dealt with this 2 or 3 times now and other times it finds the repeater just fine.

From my experience with pretty much any other network device be it a printer, camera, etc. would have to do is scan the local network to recognize the processor and establish a connection. At the VERY least, if it can't find the device, it should allow me to manually type in the IP address for it but all of that was greyed out. I don't get it. Every other automation system I have used would let me at least type in the IP address of the processor and some even have LCD screens on the processor so I could set it up manually without even needing the software.
    SparkyCoog,

I think the part we're missing here is what type of device you are trying to control from your computer and how it needs to be communicated with. Printers, cameras, etc, do not compare to the nature of the Main Repeater and it's use of software GUI for communication. At the end of the day you could just add an exception in your firewalls for the RadioRA 2 software. That would eliminate you needing to ever manipulate your firewall while onsite/ dealing with a RadioRA2 system. However, you would have to add every new version of RadioRA 2 into the firewall every time they come out. (sorry, limitation on how Windows Firewall works there).

Maybe I am missing something on this thread, but did anyone have any answer for the [27042] database connection failure? Surely I am not the only person using RA2 that has dealt with this problem. I have had this problem since updating to 10.2 last summer. No fix for this in 11.0, so maybe I just need to start installing QMotion or Mechoshade.

@REDJEEP77 Any update to Error 27042?

SQL Database repair file

Quote Originally Posted by TheWired1 View Post
    @REDJEEP77 Any update to Error 27042?
    Tech support sent me a sql database repair file that fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by redjeep77 View Post
    Tech support sent me a sql database repair file that fixed it.
    Great, You would think they would have mentioned that the one of the 4 times I called.

Thank you very much

It took me a couple months to get it fixed. I had to dig out an old laptop that would load RA2 software.

It's fixed.
    It was the SQL. They had me uninstall 3 microsoft programs related to sql & database.

MS has definitely had some issues with SQL versions.

One thing to consider with setting things up is avoiding trying to make one PC "do it all" Because, eventually, one set of software is going to end up stepping on the others. SQL client versions are particularly susceptible to this. It's difficult to pin down "who to blame" because of how many versions have evolved over time, along with their installer setup programs/scripts. Sure, it "ought to be possible"... until it isn't.

Using a virtual machine is one way to work around nonsense like this. Set things up inside a VM and use that, if only to debug when the 'real' machine won't do what you need. VMs bring along other potential complications, like networking, so it's not always an immediate work-around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12