Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Virtual Keypads as indicators only

Virtual Keypads as indicators only

Am hoping someone will tell me this is obvious, but I can't think of a way to do it. What I want is to use the feedback LED on virtual keypad buttons to use as indicators only - for example Vacation Mode - lit if on, or a particularly state variable - lit if in state 2 etc. WITHOUT the button carrying out any action if pressed

in other words, I want to use a virtual keypad as a sort of system dashboard, but because buttons are designed to be pressed they always initiate an action

Any suggestions welcome!

I came across your post and thought it was an interesting idea. How are you planning on displaying the feedback, in the app? If so do you plan on allowing that same user to also make changes using different keypads in the app?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    You can have a button with program type conditional and nothing programmed on the press on, press off, hold, or double tap. On the LED logic section for that button, you could program it as Room or Scene and reference a scene that will have the lights, shades, etc. programmed. This scene will never be called when the button is pressed, but the LED on the button will be on whenever the scene is activated from somewhere else in the project. Attached is a sample project file programmed with the functionality described.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. Likes LightBrigade liked this post
    Thanks Armando - I will try this out on a few practical examples, but it looks like it will do what I want

Good question, which was going to prompt another feature request - initiallymy application is for the user to make changes elsewhere and use the feedback virtual keypad for an at a glance view of what was set. But it would be nice to be able to allow/prevent users from accessing certain features - i.e. restrict some buttons or keypads and limit ability to edit scenes and timeclock events.

It is already possibly to create multiple users/logins although that seems primarily aimed at integration, but different logins could be associated with some kind of access control - for example the home owner could ensure the kids couldn't alter scenes outside their own rooms, change timers or maybe not even see some keypads

7. Likes Blair S. liked this post