Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: salvage my radioRA (1) grafik eye and integrate with my new Casseta installation

salvage my radioRA (1) grafik eye and integrate with my new Casseta installation

Hi All,
    Great forum with many knowledgeable folks! My first post.

My whole house except for my kitchen(legacy RadioRa) is now Caseta and it all works great !
    I replaced a few legacy RadioRa dimmers and all that is left is a Kitchen Grafik eye with 6 zones, 3 power modules for ELV and two remote keypads controlling it.
    Keypad 1 is wireless radioRA and will likely be junked.
    Keypad 2 is hardwired to Grafik eye by elv cable I assume.
    Is there an option to:
    1) Add in a hybrid type keypad that will hardwire and control the Grafik eye as well be wirelessly controlled by either Caseta or a new RadioRA2
    2) am I stuck getting a RadioRa2 Grafik eye - I assume I can use the existing 4 button with dimming wired keypad. plus a Ra2 bridge and a wireless keypad - costly and now I have invested in another ecosystem. plus this won't talk to caseta

I use Alarm.com also which lets me control the casetas with workflow and rules. In theory a RadioRa2 install can exist with Caseta with Alarm.com being the main hub, correct?

essentially I am trying to avoid ripping out the old RadioRA grafik eye(4 gang size) out of the kitchen and adding 6 casita dimmers in another location and covering the hole up - plus I am stuck with the Picos which don't even compare to the lit keypads.
    Also, I would rather not end up with a new mini RadioRa2 install for just the kitchen while the whole house is caseta.
    But I do want ALL lights "centrally" automated as possible.

thoughts?

Ra2 and Caseta do not integrate with each other unless you are using a third party system to do so. You could use the neutral wire dimmer- PD-10NXD-WH in place of the old Graphic RA, but you would need to expand to a six gang box to make this work. The PD-10NXD is capable of handling the ELV "boosters". As far as the second keypad, you would be forced into a 4 button pico for scene control.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    Ra2 and Caseta do not integrate with each other unless you are using a third party system to do so. You could use the neutral wire dimmer- PD-10NXD-WH in place of the old Graphic RA, but you would need to expand to a six gang box to make this work. The PD-10NXD is capable of handling the ELV "boosters". As far as the second keypad, you would be forced into a 4 button pico for scene control.
    @ SanDiegoRep - thx for the advice and confirm. looks like more Casetas are the only sane option. I can also use a couple of scene picos with the 6 intended casetas to give me 6 scenes - will require relocating the wiring that goes to the grafik to a central location and close up current one. will shelve this project till next year unless I cam tie it in to any other more needed electrical work. whole house breaker, etc etc.
    thx !!
    hmm - after I typed the above , just realized - perhaps expanding the box to 6 gang would be easier as the existing wiring can pop right into the new 6 dimmer setup - ELV Boosters stay where they are I assume - just a straight swap from Grafik to 6 dimmers on an expanded gang as I don't have to re-run any wiring. assuming i have neutrals in the current Grafik box.

Ok it looks like I found a way to integrate my original RadioRA Grafik Eye into my automation.
    I noticed my Grafik Eye has IR capability. So started looking at blaster options. I have the Harmony hub paired with a Harmony ultimate. Added the Lutron device and IR codes via the harmony app and lo and behold - I could use my remote to call scenes on the Grafik RA !
    Next logical step - trying the hub hub as a blaster - moved it to the kitchen - presto , it can trigger scenes on Grafik RA . I called harmony and they confirmed I can add a standalone hub and add unique devices - so I bought a new hub and configured it within line of sight and now I can use my harmony app to control scenes.
    Next step was to use Yonomi for routines and schedules. It works.
    The icing on the cake was using Alexa to call Yonomi routines/scenes and I can now voice control my legacy 6 zone Grafik RA setup :)
    of course it runs on another hub so not really integrated with Caseta but at least I can plan routines, schedules and most importantly voice control it.
    No I have to figure a way to incorporate global scenes where I can lump in Grafik RA, Caseta and Hue.
    so hoping some folks here can provide more insight and comments .
    meantime I am a real happy camper as I can preserve my 10 year old investment in my 6 zone Grafik RA kitchen setup !

Integrate a space system too

[QUOTE=Blurum;10794]Ok it looks like I found a way to integrate my original RadioRA Grafik Eye into my automation.
    I noticed my Grafik Eye has IR capability. So started looking at blaster options. I have the Harmony hub paired with a Harmony ultimate. Added the Lutron device and IR codes via the harmony app and lo and behold - I could use my remote to call scenes on the Grafik RA !

I did a similar thing to salvage my 10 year old Lutron Spacer(ir) system but rather than use a blaster, I was able to place a mini-emitter inside the electrical box where my remote Spacer scene control switch was located. The mini emitter is fed by an Itach device. My AV and lighting is controlled by Simple Control (IOS) so I am able to control Caseta, Lutron Spacer, Hue etc. Allows me to have scenes, triggers,and timed events/activities. I am not overly familiar with the Harmony system but I suspect you could also embed a mini-emitter if having a blaster unit was unsightly.