Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Problems Uploading RF system

Problems Uploading RF system

I have an all-RF system here using an RF Processor HRP5-120 and numerous dimmers, table top dimmers and keypads, two STRD see-touch keypads, and two hybrid repeaters. So long as I have uploaded a program without problems, the system works flawlessly. My problem is that, every time I make a change in the program or add a device, I have numerous problems uploading the new program. [I am using HW Illumination v1.65.]

Most every time I upload, the program reports that some of the devices failed to be uploaded to. The particular devices that did not receive the upload change on each retry. I always check that I want to upload only to RF devices for which the program changed, but the devices that fail the upload are not those which changed in the program.

I initially suspected the repeaters, but often the devices that failed are within a few feet of the HRP5 processor and remote (about 30 feet) from the nearest repeater. The first repeater is about 30 feet from the processor and the second repeater is another 20 feet from that one. I should note that sometimes one or both of the repeaters show their 'status' and 'test' LEDs blinking alternately. This does not happen every time. If I cycle the power to the repeater it stops the alternate blinking. [BTW, I've checked the revision numbers of the repeaters and neither is in the group which suffer from the 'ping-pong' malady, and anyway that problem has different LEDs blinking.]

My current "solution" is to repeat and repeat (and repeat) the upload until by chance it happens without errors. Then the system is up and running and works perfectly.

Of course, I'd like to solve the problem completely, but one question is: if only a single unit fails to receive the upload, is there some way I can definitely restrict the device upload that that single device?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Followup: It appears that checking the default "Compile and Upload" causes the system to upload to any devices which changed since the prior version, no matter how many times this is done. On the other hand, checking "Upload Last Compile" the second time an upload is attempted, causes only the devices which did not succeed the prior time. As I have only tried this a few times, I can't be sure of this, but so far it appears to be the case. This causes the problem to converge to a solution, as sooner or later all device files are uploaded correctly.
    I'd still love to hear any advice to avoid all this hassle, however. Thanks

Hello scholl_r,
    Thank you for your post.
    You can use a command found in the command tree in the terminal screen. It is under RF/QED Device Commands. The command is SYNCDB and another command to try is RETRYDB. These can be used in an effort to get RF devices their databases without another upload. You can also select Upload Last compile as a time saver if nothing has changed in the project since the last compile.

Thanks, Blair, I found them, and will try that next time I upload (probably in the next couple of days).

I've troubleshooted the entire system, and the problem appears to be weak RF signals around the property, which has metal studs in places. By shifting the exact position of the repeaters I can get better results, although rarely perfect. Blair S's suggestion of using the SYNCDB and RETRYDB worked well for me. As the system works flawlessly once all databases are uploaded to the devices, I am planning to live with the situation as is. Thanks again to Blair S. for the valuable suggestion.

I should have also said that the RF diagnostics always indicates full green bars for every device from the nearest repeater (and often from the other repeater and/or the processor). So no joy (help) there.