Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Installation help

Installation help

Hello. I seem to have an unusual wiring setup on the switches I am planning to replace with Lutron Casetta switches. Here is a photo of the wiring on the existing switch. I'm pretty sure it is a one way switch, because there are no others that control these outdoor lights. Can anyone tell me how to connect the FOUR wires in this photo to my new switch? It is part of a triplet switch plate, if that helps to explain the wiring pattern.
    The switches I am planning to install are Lutron PD-5S-DV-WH, which are said to be compatible with my Casetta system. Thank you!

Bruce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1659.jpg  

That is a three way switch. If it is not used in three way configuration now, it just means the other wire is not connected to anything. Figure out which two black wires are necessary for the job, and isolate the third.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by bwietharn View Post
    Hello. I seem to have an unusual wiring setup on the switches I am planning to replace with Lutron Casetta switches. Here is a photo of the wiring on the existing switch. I'm pretty sure it is a one way switch, because there are no others that control these outdoor lights. Can anyone tell me how to connect the FOUR wires in this photo to my new switch? It is part of a triplet switch plate, if that helps to explain the wiring pattern.
    The switches I am planning to install are Lutron PD-5S-DV-WH, which are said to be compatible with my Casetta system. Thank you!

Bruce
    Hi Bruce,

That does look like a single-pole switch to me (or as you said, a one-way switch). Since that switch is ganged with other switches in the wallbox, that second wire on the bottom of the switch is most likely a jumper wire to jump the hot connection to the switch next to it. In order to replace that switch with a Caseta switch, you would connect the black wire on the top of your existing switch to one of the black wires on the Caseta switch (doesn't matter which one). You would then connect both of the black wires on the bottom of your existing switch to the other black wire on the Caseta switch. You also need to connect the copper (ground) wire on the switch to the green wire on the Caseta switch. You won't be using the blue wire on the Caseta switch so you can cap that off. Let us know if you run into any issues with the installation.

4. Thanks bwietharn thanked for this post
    Likes Zach R., Allen liked this post
    Lutron Technical Support
    Looking at the picture, I completely agree with Eric.

6. Thanks bwietharn thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Looking at the picture, I completely agree with Eric.
    Thank you, guys. I have what I think are two essentially identical switches for front and back lights. With both I installed the LUT-MLC. Following your advice the front switch seems to work perfectly now, but the back switch is on but won't turn off. Any idea what I did wrong?

I appreciate your help!

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bwietharn View Post
    Thank you, guys. I have what I think are two essentially identical switches for front and back lights. With both I installed the LUT-MLC. Following your advice the front switch seems to work perfectly now, but the back switch is on but won't turn off. Any idea what I did wrong?

I appreciate your help!

Bruce

Never mind. I eventually figured it out. Turns out on the second switch it did matter which connection the fourth wire went on.

Bruce