Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ra2 random dimmers going down to off and right back on

My system is about 3 1/2 years old. A couple months ago one of my Radio RA2 dimmers decided it did not want to be off. Efforts to turn it off result in the lights going out for about a second and then to full. This was the case whether to light had been dimmed prior to trying to shut it off or the light had been on full. It also did not matter whether the dimmer was controlled locally or remotely as part of a group. I have several of the dimmers in the same room. I only have this problem with the one dimmer. Most of the time it behaves properly. I have done all the programming myself. The soft ware has not been updated. Sometimes I just give up and dim the lights as far as they will go. Later it will work.

Interesting, I'm using a VCRX for a Pool Panel and it operates relays for my Pump, Blower, Heater & Valves. The other day after I updated some programming & added the Connect Bridge. My blower came on (CCO3 on the VCRX) at 4:30am. Just a coincidence? It happened one more time about 4 hours later but hasn't happened again since while I've been home to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy G View Post
    Yes, I did send the file in, but then also called and the person on the phone checked my programming and didn't see anything irregular. I'll have to send it to you again with the specific details. The bedroom lamp turns on around 4:30 AM but not every day. The Basement is erratic as well and I can't tell if there's anything else going on and off at the same time since I'm in the basement and usually alone. Last time I was there 8/10 approximately 7:30 pm and was within minutes of plugging into the switch that the 2 repeaters are plugged into. I'm wondering if there's just too much static on these AV network switches, or the repeaters are too close to each other, Or that the house network feeding our network static IP's does not have a static IP and is going into cyber world to get it's updated IP??, if such an event actually happens.
    My experience is limited, but I would suggest to you to also check some of the basic requirments to see if something is amiss. I experienced similar problems with a site. Turns out several electrical basic items were not performed. flipped a breaker off and found 3 rooms went out withshared neutral with elv, mlv, incand. mixed . Found led lamps below minimum on another circuit. Found led's not on the approved list which, when changed to approved models, solved a "random behavior issue. " Just mentioning it here in case it helps.

+1 on the suggestion to check the lighting and neutrals. Had a ceiling fixture with LEDs in it that just would not behave properly. Replaced them AND re-configured the dimmer to act as a switch (no dimming) and the voodoo went away. The software allows most of the dimmers (all?) to be configured to control the load a just a switch. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a dimmer, but better that as a temporary fix instead of driving the customer crazy.

As customers go about replacing incandescents with LEDs there's going to be more of this nonsense. Lots of LEDs just cannot be reliably controlled with dimmers, and there's no reliable indicator on the packaging that will guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    The software allows most of the dimmers (all?) to be configured to control the load a just a switch.
    Are you accomplishing this by changing the fade rates to 0.0 seconds and hiding the integration ID#?
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

No, just change the load type to non-dimmed. It'll then present as just an on off switch.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    No, just change the load type to non-dimmed. It'll then present as just an on off switch.
    are you referring to the WPM? I don't see this option on 10.2 for RRD-6CL, RRD-10ND, or the RRD-6NA.

I stand corrected, I've managed to use it successfully with the H6BRL, 3PD and 3LD. I assumed that'd translate to the other dimmers. My apologies for the confusion.

No worries. You had me excited. Interesting that you used it on the H6BRL. As a switched load it should have had a PHPM-SW-DV module added to the system. Did you run that without the module? That would be nice, as I've asked for a switching hybrid keypad for years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12