Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another ceiling fan thread - removing Minke wireless module for RR2 control?

Another ceiling fan thread - removing Minke wireless module for RR2 control?

I have a project with several ceiling fan/light combos, all from "Minke Aire" which seems to be relatively good quality. They are of the type with a canopy controller module that listens for their wall-mount or handheld remotes to set lamp brightness on/off and fan speed.

Here is the wiring diagram from the manual:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 12.41.23 AM.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	493

If I want to yank out that proprietary wireless controller module and connect the direct wires in the canopy to RR2 controlling switches, would that work with this fan?

The fan unit would have the following wires coming out of it (canopy receiver removed):
    - black (motor load)
    - blue (down-light load)
    - orange (up-light load) - on some models
    - neutral (white)
    - ground (green)

SO... if I want to fully enable this with RR2 control, would the following work:
    - RRD-2AF - wired with load going to fan's black wire
    - RRD-6NA - wired with load going to fan's blue wire
    - (optional) another RRD-6NA going to fan's orange wire for uplight (on models so equipped).
    - ground and neutral wires connected as appropriate

Has anyone done something like this? Do you see any reason it wouldn't work well?

Will the "dumbed down" hardwired Minke Aire fan work well at different 2AF speeds without buzzing or problems?

Only thing I think I'd lose is the reversing function which was handled by the controller module. I presume there's no way to get that back easily since i've removed their controller unit. While I'd like to find a way to wire up the reversal button, I can live without it if it's too complex/expensive to do.

Thanks very much for any help/advice!

RRD-2ANF works here like a charm, with Minka Aire Concept II fan.

3. Thanks joshg thanked for this post
    The couple of fans I've ever installed that had remote controls were just like this (although with only one lighting load, not two). Ultimately, I just ditch that little remote module and everything works just fine. I like that they include it as a separate component. Works well for people that are doing a retrofit and only have the one wire, but for the rest of us, we can ditch the canopy module and wire up separate fan and light controls on the wall.

Note- Lutron fan controls are for "permanent split capacitors". If you have a DC motor, then I would the leave the fan alone and just use the RRD-8ANS-xx to ensure off when the customer wants it.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

6. Likes randyc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    Note- Lutron fan controls are for "permanent split capacitors". If you have a DC motor, then I would the leave the fan alone and just use the RRD-8ANS-xx to ensure off when the customer wants it.
    Thanks SDR... a few followup questions:
    1) how do i know if this fan uses a permanent split capacitor motor? It's not in the little install manual i have.
    2) If it is just a regular DC, what would happen if I did use the 2AF control on it?
    3) in your suggestion, are you saying the RRD-8ANS just toggles power to the entire device, fan and light? What good would that do other than power off fan and light together and not be able to remotely get them back on again?

1) pull chain fans are usually (99%) permanent split capacitor, otherwise you'll have to check the specs.
    2) I have no idea. I would assume that things will get a bit wacky, but you never know. Could burn the motor up, could work like a champ.
    3) We used to do this when there wasn't a fan control. I would tell them that I could make sure it was off, but when the switch is on, I have no idea what the remote was doing or how it "boots up" from zero power. Not the best solution at all, but insured everything was off.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

9. Thanks joshg thanked for this post
    You wouldn't be able to connect DC motor like that. It has several leads. Your fan - assuming it is listed as having AC motor - is almost certainly "permanent split capacitor".

11. Thanks joshg, SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Finally getting ready to tackle this. Does anyone know a way to preserve the ability to remotely toggle the fan direction or does that completely go away if you remove the little wireless canopy receiver module as we've been discussing above?

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    RRD-2ANF works here like a charm, with Minka Aire Concept II fan.
    Veeh - did you find a way to control the fan direction remotely?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    Thanks
    I installed MA-LFQHW with a Minka-Aire fan.

The fan ONLY SPINS IN THE WRONG DIRECTION :(

All Minka tech support tells me is their fans don't work with third party controllers. They are no help at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    Thanks
    I installed MA-LFQHW with a Minka-Aire fan.

The fan ONLY SPINS IN THE WRONG DIRECTION :(

All Minka tech support tells me is their fans don't work with third party controllers. They are no help at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast