Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Activating scenes from Control4

Activating scenes from Control4

When I activate a scene from a Control4 interface, the lights don't ramp up at the same time. There's a delay from one light in the scene to the next one. I have the latest drivers installed. Is there a way to fix this?

Eddy

Are you sending individual raise commands to the dimmers? I've seen this before, and the delay will get worse as network traffic increases. Try using the phantom keypad buttons on the main, and have C4 activate those scenes instead of individual dimmer control x however many dimmers you have. Should see a drastic increase in performance. You can check this by running the Lutron app and seeing if the delay remains. If it goes away, it's probably too many commands through the C4.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I'm using the Advanced Lighting agent. So, yes; individual commands are being sent. I see what you mean, a single command is sent to the repeater instead of several. I just wonder if the problem is with the driver or Director can't send the whole scene at the same time creating a delay. There's no delay when using Control4 Lighting, so hopefully is a driver problem. It's very convenient to just learn a scene in Control4 after it has been edited or created in Ra2. I can also create scenes that are not in Ra2. Lutron Staff, would you mind chiming in? Ra2 integration with Control4 is very nice, except for this minor problem. SanDiegoRep, thanks for the suggestion, it makes a lot of sense. I'll give it a try.

If you want the lights to all trigger at the same time, you have to use an RRa2 scene triggered by a phantom button. It's not a problem with the driver, as there's no way to send individual commands over the integration interface and have them all activate at the same time. All commands sent are executed immediately.

Lutron, this needs to be fixed. The support for Advanced Lighting is not well implemented. The Ra2 Main Driver should be smart enough to know when an Advanced Lighting scene is being activated and send the commands to the Repeater at the same time. Creating the scenes in phantom buttons is a bandage to a problem, you need to solve the problem.

Eddy,
    It's not on the Lutron side. It's how the C4 implements the individual commands for the dimmers. They must use the network connection to "funnel through" to the main repeater. Switching to the phantom buttons on the main will result in a single command being sent through from C4 and nearly instantaneous response of all lights simultaneously. Part of what makes Lutron so robust and durable is the simplicity of the radio command architecture and the much lower frequency used.

Quick analogy- C4 sending commands to each dimmer is like a game of telephone, limited to one person speaking at a time to all other people, then the cycle repeating. Lutron is more like a quarterback changing the play at the line of scrimmage ("Omaha!"). All devices have a playbook and know what they alone need to do when the play is called.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols