Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hybrid Keypad initial button config vs engraved button config

Hybrid Keypad initial button config vs engraved button config

If I'm having difficulty finding availability of a hybrid keypad with the button config I want, is it a reasonable practice to order one that has more/different buttons than needed and then change it to the desired config when ordering the engraving?

According to a couple of other threads I've seen that touch on this topic, this does seem to be possible, although a comment in one thread said Lutron was no longer supporting this practice.

Just looking for a definitive answer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gt3mike View Post
    If I'm having difficulty finding availability of a hybrid keypad with the button config I want, is it a reasonable practice to order one that has more/different buttons than needed and then change it to the desired config when ordering the engraving?

According to a couple of other threads I've seen that touch on this topic, this does seem to be possible, although a comment in one thread said Lutron was no longer supporting this practice.

Just looking for a definitive answer.

Thanks
    I have never had a problem doing it this way. I don't know of and supply house that stocks all button configurations. 90% of the time I find uses for all of the buttons but in the rare applications when I can't I have never had an issue with ordering a different button engraving.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    There is no problem with doing this, however keep in mind as far as the SeeTouch Hybrid Keypads are concerned you only have a small number of button kits in comparison to the SeeTouch Wallstation Keypads. Also, all button kits must have the raise/lower buttons and the air gap tab on them which restricts how many options we can offer.

Yes. The only issue is engraving. If you order pre-engraved keypads and want to change the button layout you will have to pay for a 2nd engraving. If you order un-engraved keypads, you will wind up with a lot of non-recyclable plastic. I can't imagine Lutron cares either way.

Hybrid or standard, I always do 6BRL in-wall keypads. I've never had an owner call and say, "I never use that button. Can you remove it?" There are advantages to keeping the keypads standard. The look, feel, and function will be consistent throughout the project. All at no additional cost.

In 20 years, I've done maybe 4 or 5 keypads that were not 6 button.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hybrid Keypad HN3s

Can I order a new pre-engraved with 6 buttons for HN3S? Will I be able to program it for 6 if I wish?

Quote Originally Posted by mlvette View Post
    Can I order a new pre-engraved with 6 buttons for HN3S? Will I be able to program it for 6 if I wish?
    Yes. They physical device in the wall doesn't change. The HN3S and HN6BRL are the same device with different button kits.

When you change the button configuration in the software, you will get a warning about losing programming.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by mlvette View Post
    You can put a HN3S over a HN-6BRL activated keypad, but you will get backlights on all buttons, including those that are covered. If you activate as a HN3S, buttons 2,4,and 6 will have the backlight turned off.

Why are you wanting to do this? If it is for third party integration, then use the phantom buttons on the main repeater. If it is because you need the additional buttons at that location, re-order the engraving.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols