Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Under Cabinet Dimmable LED Light Strips Help

Under Cabinet Dimmable LED Light Strips Help

It doesn't appear I can use the Caseta dimmer switch to control any LED light strips, line voltage or low voltage. I've remodeled the kitchen and hard wired one bank of switches to install Caseta switches at for 5 circuits and plan to use Pico remotes at the other 3 entry points into the kitchen area. Shall I assume there will only be one location for control and dimming of the under cabinet lights and it will not be a Caseta switch or is there an LED strip I can control from the Caseta and I've missed it. It would seem under cabinet lighting would be a priority for this application but I'm finding no consensus. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseDoctor View Post
    It doesn't appear I can use the Caseta dimmer switch to control any LED light strips, line voltage or low voltage. I've remodeled the kitchen and hard wired one bank of switches to install Caseta switches at for 5 circuits and plan to use Pico remotes at the other 3 entry points into the kitchen area. Shall I assume there will only be one location for control and dimming of the under cabinet lights and it will not be a Caseta switch or is there an LED strip I can control from the Caseta and I've missed it. It would seem under cabinet lighting would be a priority for this application but I'm finding no consensus. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
    Using our LED Selection Tool at http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Service-...merMatrix.aspx, it looks like we haven't approved the dimming of any tested undercabinet lights with our Caseta dimmers. This doesn't mean that it's not possible to dim undercabinet lights, it just means that with the ones we've tested, they didn't dim to our satisfaction. Looking at our tool, it doesn't look like there are any undercabinet lights that are approved with any of our dimmers. You may want to contact the LED manufacturer and see if there are any dimmers that they would recommend.

If you are planning to switch them instead of dimming them, I would recommend using the PD-6ANS-(color) neutral-based switch. This switch works better with a larger group of LEDs.

I remodeled my kitchen earlier this year and installed LED tape light under by cabinets that I can dim with the Caseta system. I used the Lutron Hi-Lume driver together with the Caseta Pro PD-10NXD Dimmer.

See

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369919_WEB.pdf

and

http://www.environmentallights.com/1...ukl-av120.html

I used a magnetic LV transformer and the lamp dimmer. It works great.

I ended up using InspiredLED strips with 2 of their e-series transformers and they work like a charm with the Caseta switches. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by HouseDoctor View Post
    I ended up using InspiredLED strips with 2 of their e-series transformers and they work like a charm with the Caseta switches. Thanks for the help!
    HouseDoctor, did you use the dimmers or the switches? (your post says switches). I have been looking at these transformers as well and was hoping to get confirmation on their dimming with caseta in wall dimmers. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by totesthouse View Post
    HouseDoctor, did you use the dimmers or the switches? (your post says switches). I have been looking at these transformers as well and was hoping to get confirmation on their dimming with caseta in wall dimmers. Thanks.
    Dimmers and remotes.

Pairing Hi-Lume directly with Caseta Pro PD-10NXD Dimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by vqvqv View Post
    I remodeled my kitchen earlier this year and installed LED tape light under by cabinets that I can dim with the Caseta system. I used the Lutron Hi-Lume driver together with the Caseta Pro PD-10NXD Dimmer.

See

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369919_WEB.pdf

and

http://www.environmentallights.com/1...ukl-av120.html

Hi-are
    there any additional steps to pair the Hi-Lume with the Caseta Pro? Does it require the Caseta Pro to have a wired connection to the Hi-Lume or can they be paired wirelessly?

Hi-Lume is an LED driver. It has two sets of terminals. One of those is low-voltage and goes to the LED. The other is high-voltage and goes to the dimmer. You would wire the dimmer to it just like any other lighting load, but you have to make sure that the dimmer is also wired to the neutral. When planning your system, make sure you have a large enough gauge wire for the run from the Hi-Luke to the the LEDs. There can be substantial voltage drop over long distances. I believe that the instruction sheet for the Hi-Lume has specs on the recommended minimum gauge. It depends on distance and voltage.

Mallom, Can you give me some details on how you got this to work? I assume you plugged the lamp dimmer into an outlet, then made your own plug that would connect the lamp dimmer to a Hi Lume driver? Is that right?