Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RA 2 Retro-fit: RRD-6NA dimmer with MSC-AD companion dimmers

RA 2 Retro-fit: RRD-6NA dimmer with MSC-AD companion dimmers

RA 2 retro-fit. As initially designed, the 3-way and 4-way had Maestro MACL-153M dimmers and MSC-AD companion dimmers. As finally installed, some of the MACL-153M dimmers were not functioning properly and were replaced (when all else failed) by RRD-6NA dimmers. (NOTE: the companion dimmers were not replaced). The RRD-6NA dimmers were installed only for dimming functionality, not for RadioRA 2 functionality. From a dimming point of view, this setup functions perfectly.

Now the owner wants to add RadioRA 2 functionality. The documentation for the RRD-6NA dimmers seems to imply that only RD-RD remote dimmers can be used.

My question: Will we need to replace the current MSC-AD companion dimmers? If so, why (since they are working perfectly for dimming right now)?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    terry98004

Officially this has not been tested and therefore cannot be guaranteed. That said, we have seen some installers have success with using these items however if anything were to occur you would want to contact our Technical Support department for a more in depth look into what can be done with these products.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter M. View Post
    terry98004

Officially this has not been tested and therefore cannot be guaranteed. That said, we have seen some installers have success with using these items however if anything were to occur you would want to contact our Technical Support department for a more in depth look into what can be done with these products.
    I have used them both interchangeably and never seen an issue. I found out that it would work when we were in a jam and didn't have the right remote dimmer. I don't plan jobs this way but I didn't normally stock both sku's so if they don't get ordered in advanced we use whatever is on the truck.

Thank you Scooter M and Lukeetal for your responses. I understand the Lutron position (not officially supported), but it sounds like using the existing companion dimmers will work fine.