Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta Wireless and Flourescent Ballasts

Caseta Wireless and Flourescent Ballasts

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help. I have a Caseta system and have moved in to a home with a number of fluorescent ballast-based fixtures with T8 bulbs. Can someone tell me if I can user the Caseta Dimmer as a simple on/off switch to control thus load? Alternately, if not, which product would I use??

Finally, if I switch to a dimmable ballast, does that help me?

Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by teggy View Post
    Hi there,

Hoping someone can help. I have a Caseta system and have moved in to a home with a number of fluorescent ballast-based fixtures with T8 bulbs. Can someone tell me if I can user the Caseta Dimmer as a simple on/off switch to control thus load? Alternately, if not, which product would I use??

Finally, if I switch to a dimmable ballast, does that help me?

Thanks!
    The in-wall Caseta dimmers can't be set up as a plain on/off switch. It is always dimming. The plug-in dimmer can be set as a switching device, but it's not rated for fluorescent lights.

If you are looking to switch the ballasts, I would recommend the PD-6ANS-(color) switch if you have neutral wires in the wall box, or the PD-5WS-DV-(color) if you don't have neutral wires in the wall box. See: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369831_ENG.pdf.

If you are looking to dim the fluorescent lights, this is where it gets a little tricky. There isn't a Caseta dimmer that can directly dim fluorescent lights. If you use one of our (Lutron's) 3-wire fluorescent ballasts, you can use the Caseta PD-10NXD-(color) dimmer and have it control the PHPM-3F-DV-WH interface to control the ballast.

I installed a Caseta In-Wall dimmer PRO PD-10NXD to replace an appropriate Diva dimmer for a
    Tu Wire ballast, 2 T8 4' fluorescent fixture. Previously worked like a charm.

I very carefully reviewed the tech doc before going ahead, and it is listed as compatible, no neutral required.

I works fine (adjusted with trims) except that when I push the "off" button it turn off but after 1-5 seconds will automatically turn back on, at a low level. I can recreate within the iOS app, when turned off, then adjusting to 1% it turns off, then back on, then adjusting to 2% it turn off again, then back on.

It's been like that for a couple of weeks. I found the LUT-MLC used by the switches for low loads and wonder if it would work.

Lutron Technical Support
    We don't know if the LUT-MLC would work for this application. We've never tested it with dimmers. It was only meant to be used with on/off switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    We don't know if the LUT-MLC would work for this application. We've never tested it with dimmers. It was only meant to be used with on/off switches.
    You have in other thread stated that your engineers have oked the use of the mlc with the pd-10 dimmer.

Lutron Technical Support
    Which thread was that?