Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring help

Wiring help

I purchased 2 Caseta dimmer switches, 1 for my kitchen and 1 for my dining room. Each room's light fixture is only controlled by a single switch. I installed the kitchen dimmer first, when I removed the old switch it had a ground wire and 2 other wires, so install was quite easy. Did all the connections and everything worked fine.

Now here is where my issue comes. I removed the old switch in the dining room and found a ground and 3 other wires. It has the same wiring as if it was a 3 way wiring, even though it only controls 1 light. I tried to install the wiring the same way as a 3 way switch and here is what happened. The dining room light came on and the dimmer switch was not working. The light just stayed on constantly. The kitchen light did not come on at all. The kitchen dimmer switch had no power to it at all. From doing a little research, it looks like that when the house was wired, they jumped the power from one switch to the other.

Is there a way I can get around this and make both dimmer switches work?

Lutron Technical Support
    It does sound like the same wire is providing power to both units. This is pretty common.

You would have to connect two house wires to the same Caseta dimmer black wire, and the wire for the lights to the remaining black wire of the dimmer Do you have the model number of the dimmer you are trying to connect?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    It does sound like the same wire is providing power to both units. This is pretty common.

You would have to connect two house wires to the same Caseta dimmer black wire, and the wire for the lights to the remaining black wire of the dimmer Do you have the model number of the dimmer you are trying to connect?

This is what I have: Model #: P-PKG1W-WH-R

Thanks for your help.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    This is what I have: Model #: P-PKG1W-WH-R

Thanks for your help.
    This is a situation where it will be MUCH quicker to help you out if you could call our 24-hour Technical Support hotline at 1-844-588-7661 when you are in front of the units, and looking at the wires. We should be able to help you get this up and running correctly within 1/2-hour at most. Can you please give us a call at the above phone number when you are on location with the dimmers?

I just got off the phone with Tech Support. It took about 10 minutes to get it working properly. Thank you for the assistance.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I just got off the phone with Tech Support. It took about 10 minutes to get it working properly. Thank you for the assistance.
    You're welcome John! Glad we were able to help!

Can't this problem be solved by installing a breaker panel? Also, I would like to know should I need a secondary grounding prior to the breaker panel installation? I read that it is safe to install the ground plates (https://www.theshockdoctors.ca/blog/electrical-equipment/grounding-plate/) in order to avoid the shock. Is there any need for a secondary grounding if you are using 900 kWh power per day?
    Last edited by EvaJoh; 03-02-2017 at 05:53 AM. Reason: redundancy

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaJoh View Post
    Can't this problem be solved by installing a breaker panel? Also, I would like to know should I need a secondary grounding prior to the breaker panel installation? I read that it is safe to install the ground plates (https://www.theshockdoctors.ca/blog/electrical-equipment/grounding-plate/) in order to avoid the shock. Is there any need for a secondary grounding if you are using 900 kWh power per day?
    I don't see how installing a breaker panel would help. It was just s simple wiring case of figuring which wire went where, and to which switches, in the wall box. As to your ground plate question, I would recommend consulting a local qualified electrician. Lutron wouldn't be able to assist you with that question.