Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pico and Smart Bridge and Switch Range issue

Pico and Smart Bridge and Switch Range issue

I have a SmartBridge?? Pro strategically placed in my home - 4400 sq ft. With my SmartBridge, it has various Pico's added, and associated with my caseta switches. Range is good to control everything, except I'm having issues with one outdoor located switch, installed at the backyard BBQ island for outdoor lights. I have a Pico that is associated with two different switches - each control outside lights in my backyard, including the one at the BBQ island, so the Pico causes both to go on/off as if the lights were on the same switch. I want them time controlled. The Pico is attached to a wall by the back door with a mount plate, about 20' from the switches, and works perfectly. The problem is both manual and automatic scenes that include the switch by the BBQ area -- the manual and automatic scenes only turn on/off one of the two switches. The Pico works fine for using it, but control through the Bridge doesn't work, either due structural/wall interference/blockage and distance. The Bridge has the Pico added, but cannot seem to be programmed to control the Pico. If it could, that would act like a range extender ... easily turning the Pico on/off that is halfway between and within range of the Bridge and switch. Is there any plan or ability to have the Bridge and App be able to include a Pico as a controlled device in the manual and automatic scenes? This would make programing easier too -- if a Pico controls multiple devices, a time program could be added to it without having to select each device. Anyone, including Lutron, have any solutions? Suggestions? Any range extender in development?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmms View Post
    I have a SmartBridge?? Pro strategically placed in my home - 4400 sq ft. With my SmartBridge, it has various Pico's added, and associated with my caseta switches. Range is good to control everything, except I'm having issues with one outdoor located switch, installed at the backyard BBQ island for outdoor lights. I have a Pico that is associated with two different switches - each control outside lights in my backyard, including the one at the BBQ island, so the Pico causes both to go on/off as if the lights were on the same switch. I want them time controlled. The Pico is attached to a wall by the back door with a mount plate, about 20' from the switches, and works perfectly. The problem is both manual and automatic scenes that include the switch by the BBQ area -- the manual and automatic scenes only turn on/off one of the two switches. The Pico works fine for using it, but control through the Bridge doesn't work, either due structural/wall interference/blockage and distance. The Bridge has the Pico added, but cannot seem to be programmed to control the Pico. If it could, that would act like a range extender ... easily turning the Pico on/off that is halfway between and within range of the Bridge and switch. Is there any plan or ability to have the Bridge and App be able to include a Pico as a controlled device in the manual and automatic scenes? This would make programing easier too -- if a Pico controls multiple devices, a time program could be added to it without having to select each device. Anyone, including Lutron, have any solutions? Suggestions? Any range extender in development?
    There is currently no way to extend the RF range of the Caseta system. Your idea with the Pico remote is clever, but unfortunately the remote does not have the ability to act as a range extender. Lutron does not discuss product development plans but I will be sure to forward your request for a range extender to the appropriate parties.

I don't think this is technically possible. Once the Pico is paired to the bridge it is communicating with the bridge which then sends the signal to turn on/off the lights. If the Pico is controlling the lights reliably then I would guess something else is wrong with your programs. To be 100% sure try turning the lights with the issue on and off with your luton app. If it turns on and off with the app then something is definitely wrong with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
    I don't think this is technically possible. ....
    Although I appreciate a reply, sorry, but from what I have extensively read in the forums, you are wrong. You don't seem to understand how the Bridge works with Picos. A device is added to the Bridge, and then a Pico is added and paired with the device. After that, even though the Pico is listed through the App through the Bridge as an item you can control, the Bridge actually bypasses using it and communicates directly to the device that it is paired with, not the Pico. Anytime the assigned device is controlled (on/off/dimmed, etc), whether by pushing the Pico button through the App or the Device button through the App, the Bridge directly controls the particular device -- it does not actually activate or control through the Pico. The only time the Pico itself controls the Device is if a user physically pushes the button on the Pico itself. This is why a Pico can be within range of a device and turn the device on/off without a problem, but at the same time, the Bridge placement may be out of range or have interference issues whereby trying to use a setting button or timed program or push a button via the App for the Pico or Device doesn't work and fails to communicate with the device. This is why the Bridge is limited in functionality by its range ... it needs to be able to either control through a Pico that is within range of the Bridge but closer to and within range of a device, or a range extender is needed. Basically, the X10 system (which has major limitations and problems) incorporated a solution to its system, whereby the controller has both range extender devices and uses its other X10 devices on the frequency to act as range extenders. The Bridge needs to use the Pico as a range extender, or be able to actually control the Pico instead of (what it is doing) bypassing the Pico to directly control the Device it is assigned.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Elmms - roughly how far is your Smart Bridge from the dimmers in question? If it's less than 30' and you don't have a lot of metal in your walls or thick concrete under your floors it would be within range.

Have you tried moving your Smart Bridge just a couple of feet? Sometimes that can make a difference, especially with dimmers that are mounted next to each other in the same wall box.

It is well within 30', but the switch at issue is behind the concrete of the bbq island and an outdoor switch cover. There is no way to get the Smart Bridge even closer, and if I did, then the numerous switches towards the front of the house could become out of range.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmms View Post
    It is well within 30', but the switch at issue is behind the concrete of the bbq island and an outdoor switch cover. There is no way to get the Smart Bridge even closer, and if I did, then the numerous switches towards the front of the house could become out of range.
    If the switch is in a metal box, with a metal cover, I would try to replace the cover with something non-metallic. Fully enclosing the switch or any radio device for that matter will result in a large loss of ability to transmit and receive.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Multiple Bridges

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    If the switch is in a metal box, with a metal cover, I would try to replace the cover with something non-metallic. Fully enclosing the switch or any radio device for that matter will result in a large loss of ability to transmit and receive.
    Is it possible to have multiple bridges all linked together ??

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by NicBetts View Post
    Is it possible to have multiple bridges all linked together ??
    No, it is not possible to have multiple bridges linked together.