Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Geo-fencing tells me a quantity of lights, but WHICH ones?

Geo-fencing tells me a quantity of lights, but WHICH ones?

It's great getting a notification that lights were left lit when having left the geo-fenced area.

It'd be even better to have some simple ways to deal with them. In most configurations I find it's convenient to have an 'All Off' button at the bottom of a keypad nearest to the main egress/entry doors. Likewise, a widget using this works nicely. I'm not sure what kind of user interface would be best to handle the geo-fencing alert.

But something that made it flow a little better seems like it'd be a good idea.

It's hard to test this as actually leaving the house to trigger it isn't exactly convenient... My usual development target, a Nexus 7 tablet, has the ability to set 'mock locations'. But it won't run the actual Connect app code (just the old Home+ app).

What tools have the developers used to aid testing mock locations? I've tried using a few on my Samsung S7 and the Connect app doesn't seem to want to recognize the location has changed.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thanks for your feedback, currently the Connect app only has the different GUI for phones. We are still working on creating a different GUI app for tablets. When you set up your favorite scenes I would suggest having an all off scene set into your favorites. This way you can use the Today Widget to turn your loads off.

As for testing, the majority of the geo-fencing testing was done with various testing sites where users would leave the area frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
    Thanks for your feedback, currently the Connect app only has the different GUI for phones. We are still working on creating a different GUI app for tablets. When you set up your favorite scenes I would suggest having an all off scene set into your favorites. This way you can use the Today Widget to turn your loads off.

As for testing, the majority of the geo-fencing testing was done with various testing sites where users would leave the area frequently.
    Glad to know you're working on this. Some thoughts for your consideration since you're working on it:
    • In my own home, I'm told lights are on that are certainly not. I can account for a couple as electronically switched outlets through SoftSwitches, but I think the outdoor fan might be one of those that is disabled during winter and just won't respond accordingly. Perhaps that's a false positive
    • I'd suggest that people could choose their own. For example, a kid might have their phone set to show their bathroom and room only.
    • Furthermore, some lights are timer-based and you wouldn't want to be reminded about them (i.e. landscaping lights)
    • I'd suggest when you tap the notification, you're brought to a display that shows which ones are on only.

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    • I'd suggest that people could choose their own. For example, a kid might have their phone set to show their bathroom and room only.
    It would, perhaps, be interesting to be able to use a scene for this purpose. As in, only bother to tell me if devices in a particular scene are still on or not. This might also open the door toward per-user 'collections of devices'.

5. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Likes SDR-Mike liked this post