Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remote programming

Remote programming

I'm putting together a bid for a system 10hrs away from me. To be specific Lake Tahoe if anyone has experience there.
    Part of the bid will be changes made remotely. As I have no experience in remote programming was looking for advice.
    Best network setup, success/issues with ra2 old and new?
    It will be a spec house so full network access will be requires in the bid.
    Have seen the post about 9.2 issues fixed with 9.3.
    Hopefully 10 and 10.whatever don't have these issues. Job will not be until the end of the year.
    One of my concerns is the system crashing during update. Either during FW update or programming.

Thanks

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for your questions. The main things to keep in mind is that currently the only supported method of remote access is via VPN. This method is only recommended for transfers to the system, in other words not for activation and definitely not for firmware updates. I find that the biggest issue with attempting anything other than a transfer is that if it fails there is no way to remote troubleshoot the problem. Without being there or having someone on site with software access this becomes a very difficult task.

Thanks Scooter.
    Would never try a activation or firm update remotely. I cross my fingers when wired locally with firm update.
    I'm worried about doing a simple programming update and loosing the system.
    My bid will included pricing for making a trip/trips for major updates.
    What VPN does anyone recommend?
    Have you had experience with transfer fails remotely?

A much better way and should only be a few hundred more for the client is to have a local or VM machine onsite . I would then use a VPN to connect to that through RDC. I feel there is a lot less chance of failure and with someone onsite to reset processor if need be you can do almost anything remotely. Oh yea and since your on the Local lan you can use Multicast ;) LOL

- - - Updated - - -

A much better way and should only be a few hundred more for the client is to have a local or VM machine onsite . I would then use a VPN to connect to that through RDC. I feel there is a lot less chance of failure and with someone onsite to reset processor if need be you can do almost anything remotely. Oh yea and since your on the Local lan you can use Multicast ;) LOL

Thanks
    Understood all but RDC.

6. Thanks tandex thanked for this post
    RDC == Remote Desktop Connection.

You can use Microsoft's built-in version and an RDC client, or many other means such as TeamViewer in unattended mode, or VNC, etc. Each has its pros and cons.

if your 'remote updates' are generally only to change lighting levels, time clocks, etc, why not just use the iPhone app with remote access? I've trained a couple of estate managers to use the iOS app to set levels on scenes and buttons, and they are usually very happy to make those changes. If you had remote access with the LHC app you could probably handle a great deal of the user requested changes without worrying about setting up VPNs.

PS Lutron folks- as a dealer I would highly value the ability to have remote access to client systems for this sort of thing.

Great idea. Should have been a duh monemt for me.
    Just include the cocnect bridges for free remote access to the bid.
    Takes care of the basics.
    And there is a on site forman for the whole project(s).

Thanks

Please double-check that Connect Bridge & App allow for editing keypad scenes etc. I haven't seen the app yet so I can't vouch for that functionality. I was thinking Home Control Plus because I know that works.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    Please double-check that Connect Bridge & App allow for editing keypad scenes etc. I haven't seen the app yet so I can't vouch for that functionality. I was thinking Home Control Plus because I know that works.
    Yes, when using the Connect App you can go into the Areas section of the app and still edit the keypad buttons in the system.