Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bad WPM or did I miss a minimum power requirement?

Bad WPM or did I miss a minimum power requirement?

One circuit in a WPM is controlling a single recessed light fixture, which has a TCP LED10BR30D30K bulb in it. Other circuits in the same WPM have multiple EcoSmart A19 bulbs in them. When both the other circuits are on, the TCP comes on too, at low level. The WPM shows only two circuits on. So obviously it's some sort of leakage current. But is that expected or do I have a bad WPM?

TCP bulb is nominally 10w. EcoSmart bulbs are 9w. The EcoSmarts circuits have 2 bulbs (18w) on one, 3 bulbs (27w) on the other.

I have other single load circuits that I'm pretty sure are using the same bulb. I'll have to confirm that with the electricians in the morning.

Thanks!

joe

WPM only has air gap when all zones off.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have tested this bulb and it is on our approved list. I have forwarded this information to our Engineering Team so they can further investigate what may be causing this.

Administrator
    Hello FlyingDiver, this particular bulb was on our approved list. Though, due to many customer complaints we have since pulled this from our compatible bulb list. This may be due to a design change in that bulb. We would suggest using our LED product selection tool at www.lutron.com/ledtool, to find a better performing LED.

You are seeing some feedback with the WPM. Due to the sensitive nature of LEDs it will sometimes be enough to keep the bulb on at a dim level. Most likely there is nothing wrong with the WPM. A way to test it would be to put an incandescent bulb in that circuit and see if it still comes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    Hello FlyingDiver, this particular bulb was on our approved list. Though, due to many customer complaints we have since pulled this from our compatible bulb list. This may be due to a design change in that bulb. We would suggest using our LED product selection tool at www.lutron.com/ledtool, to find a better performing LED.
    Not happening. The house is finished now and there's over 70 of those bulbs in the house. I'm not buying new ones now.

Please explain to me how I'm supposed to use the LED tool to find a 3000K BR30 lamp for use with a WPM, when WPM is not listed as a dimmer and BR30 isn't listed as a bulb type. Oh, wait. Using GRAFIK Eye 3000 and R30 works, and look - I get the LED10BR30D27K which is the 2700K version of the bulb I'm using.

Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    You are seeing some feedback with the WPM. Due to the sensitive nature of LEDs it will sometimes be enough to keep the bulb on at a dim level. Most likely there is nothing wrong with the WPM. A way to test it would be to put an incandescent bulb in that circuit and see if it still comes on.
    I'm not going to put an incandescent bulb in just to test. It'll take a 14' ladder to get up there, so if I do swap a bulb it's gotta be one that's going to work long term.

Not a happy camper.

Administrator
    Good morning FlyingDiver, I understand your frustration. Because you have such a small load of one LED, it is impossible to say what LED will work best in that situation. The only sure solution would be to replace that bulb with an incandescent bulb. Otherwise it will be trial and error with LEDs.

We would not suggest using the LUT-LBX. While the LUT-LBX is designed for applications, where the lighting load does not meet the min load rating of the control, this unfortunately is not a guaranteed solution when controlling a single LED. The slight leakage might still keep the TCP LED illuminated once another zone is turned on.