Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: So much for out-of-the-box-experience

So much for out-of-the-box-experience

Just received the new Connect Bridge. Plugged it into the network and let it settle for a few minutes, set the router to give it a static DHCP lease, and then power cycled the bridge. Waited a few minutes, checked that it was responding to ping and fired up the app on a Nexus 7 Android tablet. Saw the bridge, pressed the button, signed into my Lutron account and waited...

Your Lutron System is unable to connect to the Internet. Cancel or Retry.

Power cycled it, waited and retried. Tried using a Samsung S7 (also Android) Same thing, no workee.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Have you activated it into a system and transferred to that system?

I don't droid. iOS uses a different app! Have to find the bridge in the software from design tab (not activate tab) then retransfer the system. All worked well for me otherwise.

Starting over, going back and re-transferring from 10 to the repeaters. Re-importing from 9.3 project, saving, etc. Did all before...

Meanwhile, my iPad4 doesn't like that it hasn't been used in months, and now seems stuck spontaneously rebooting. SMH...

Took several retries. Finally just power cycled both repeaters and the bridge, re-imported a 9.3 database into a fresh install of 10, added a bridge to it and re-transferred to the repeaters. All of which I'd done before. NOW the apps gets past that error and I can start working with it.

I couldn't get my connect bridge to work wither. I installed Essentials 10.0 on my Windows 10 laptop and I could find the bridge in the software (after pressing button on bridge). As soon as I go to save and close the find repeater/bridge window, I just get a generic error. I tried re-uploading 10.0 firmware, re-installing 10.0 software, static IP, DHCP IP, removing then re-adding bridge in software and calling Lutron support. I also couldn't connect using the the Lutron Connect App on Galaxy S7. Nothing worked so I put the laptop away and gave up.

Just for fun I later tried digging into the Connect App settings on my phone and all of a sudden things started working for what seems to be no reason. I got out the laptop again but still did not work. Now when i go to transfer my file I get different errors and Essentials just shuts down. At least the App is still working. I was easily able to setup my Honeywell 9000 series t-stat in the Lutron Connect App.

Eric

One thing to watch out for is DHCP address exhaustion. With home networks typically being on Class C subnets, there's only 253 possible free addresses for devices. That and many routers only come configured with DHCP pool of address leases that's much smaller. So by the time you factor TVs, AVRs, tablets, phones, and all kinds of other wi-fi gizmos you could potentially run into a lack of DHCP leases. Every router handles this differently, but anytime there's network voodoo going on I check the DHCP tables first.