Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights randomly turning off, then sometimes back on

Lights randomly turning off, then sometimes back on

My Caseta system seems to have developed a problem of late in that it will randomly execute a scene, despite nothing telling it to. On a number of occasions all the lights have been switched off, and the other night all lights were switched off then about 5 minutes later switched back on again. This will typically happen about once a day.

It appears as if this is something being executed by the bridge. If after turning the lights off I go to one of the Pico scene controllers I can turn a scene back on, but it will turn back off again a few minutes later. The only cure seems to be to use the App to set a new scene then things are fine again, and everything works as normally for another a day or so.

I don't have any timed based scenes setup, there are no other people in the house when this is happening, nor is there anyone else with an app to control anything.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Lutron Technical Support
    Here's some of the things that we've seen triggering loads on our app when customers don't think it should happen:
    - Geofencing: If multiple people are using geofencing, the system doesn't have the logic to tell if one person is already in the radius of geofencing. It will trigger anyway once someone crosses the set barrier.
    - IFTTT: We've had multiple cases where customers didn't realize, or forgot, they had a formula set up in IFTTT and that formula was triggering the loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Here's some of the things that we've seen triggering loads on our app when customers don't think it should happen:
    - Geofencing: If multiple people are using geofencing, the system doesn't have the logic to tell if one person is already in the radius of geofencing. It will trigger anyway once someone crosses the set barrier.
    - IFTTT: We've had multiple cases where customers didn't realize, or forgot, they had a formula set up in IFTTT and that formula was triggering the loads.

I don't see that is going to be one of those two things, I don't have IFTTT setup at all, and unless the geo-fencing has a bug there is no one else entering the zone I have setup. The Lutron app that has geo-fencing is only on one phone and that phone is sitting stationary on a counter when this is happening!

Lutron Technical Support
    Are there any 3rd party controls that are able to control your Caseta system, such as Control4, Crestron, or Savant?
    How often does this happen? 1x/day? More?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Are there any 3rd party controls that are able to control your Caseta system, such as Control4, Crestron, or Savant?
    How often does this happen? 1x/day? More?
    No this is just Lutron hardware, Caseta switches and the Pro Hub. The system is in a vacation house, so I'm not there all the time, however I would say it happens at least once per day when I'm up there, sometimes more than once. One of the times this past weekend had a slightly different pattern, as I said at night it turned all lights off, then a few minutes later turned on a scene that I have programmed. I had to get up and turn them off again with the App, and then they stayed off.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by DMLUrban View Post
    No this is just Lutron hardware, Caseta switches and the Pro Hub. The system is in a vacation house, so I'm not there all the time, however I would say it happens at least once per day when I'm up there, sometimes more than once. One of the times this past weekend had a slightly different pattern, as I said at night it turned all lights off, then a few minutes later turned on a scene that I have programmed. I had to get up and turn them off again with the App, and then they stayed off.
    We're going to need to look into what is happening on that bridge.

The next time it happens while you are on the local WiFi please go into the app, and go to Settings > Help and tap on "Send Feedback". This will pull the logs off the bridge and attach it to an email. In the body of the email, please indicate which loads were affected, what happened that shouldn't have happened, and what time it happened at.

I was at the house this weekend and all the lights turned off, so did send the log files. How do I follow up on this and try and figure out what is triggering this to happen?

Lutron Technical Support
    DMLUrban, if you sent us the Feedback file, you should have received an email that gave you a case number. What was that case number?

Looks like there was a problem with the email client on my iPhone and it was not sent on Saturday. I just fixed that problem and re-sent the log files and the case ID is: 7128455. I took a look at the log file and there is a lot of activity at 19:46, which would have been about the time the lights shut off on Saturday during dinner.

Lutron Technical Support
    The feedback file you sent us only had information from your phone, but nothing from the bridge. Can you be on site with the bridge and create another feedback file? This will pull the logs from the bridge.

When the feedback email comes up, erase everything in the "Subject:" line and instead type in "Case #7128455".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast