Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just finished RadioRa2 #1 online course

Question Just finished RadioRa2 #1 online course

Hey
    I have just completed the course and i am designing my first ever retrofit system.
    A few things i am curious about.

1) When there is a pre-wired 3-way or 4-way lighting cct how do i set that up in the program? Do i just add the devices as dimmer and assign them different zone names? Will the standard dimmer work in both locations? Whats standard practices here?

2) Why Grafic eye QS over 4 dimmer switches and a custom wireless keypad? Is it just about cleaning up the wall a little or do I actually have more options available? The price seems very high when comparing

Ok so i think I answered one of my own questions... The three way gets re-wired in the applicable sequence so the blue screws are connected. As for programming it does each device have a different
    zone name? Im trying to wrap my head around the program not relating those switches to the same light, or does it ?

For three (or more) way circuits, you put in ONE dimmer (RRD-6CL or whatever) and one or more remotes (RD-RD). Put in the dimmer first, assigning a location and zone name. Then add the remote dimmer in a different location. Then click "attach" to assign it to the dimmer.

The Graphic Eye is actually six dimmers in a four gang box. At least the WPMs are six, and I think it's the same box without the keypad on the front. It's a cleaner look with more dimmers, if you need that.

4. Likes phmartin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
    For three (or more) way circuits, you put in ONE dimmer (RRD-6CL or whatever) and one or more remotes (RD-RD). Put in the dimmer first, assigning a location and zone name. Then add the remote dimmer in a different location. Then click "attach" to assign it to the dimmer.

The Graphic Eye is actually six dimmers in a four gang box. At least the WPMs are six, and I think it's the same box without the keypad on the front. It's a cleaner look with more dimmers, if you need that.
    Grafik Eye QS indeed offers a cleaner look as it only occupies 4 gangs and can handle up to 6 zones (which if you had dimmers would require 6 positions). It also comes with a shade control keypad. However, Grafik Eye QS can only handle 500 Watts per zone and loads such as incandescent, halogen, and MLV. If you have LED bulbs or ELV fixtures, you need to add a Lutron power module to the Grafik Eye QS.

6. Likes phmartin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimerize View Post
    If you have LED bulbs or ELV fixtures, you need to add a Lutron power module to the Grafik Eye QS.
    If you're careful selecting your LED bulbs, you can use them with a WPM or Grafik Eye. TCP and EcoSmart have bulbs that work without a power module.

You can and the remote dimmer, then "attach" it to the dimmer it is hard-wired to. The zone name will show up along with the attached dimmer with an orange asterisk. Allows you to track what it is supposed to do. The remotes are not available when using the Graphik Eye or WPM.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks for all the posts.

I may not have explained this properly.
    Say there is a pre-wired 3way switch for the stair light existing.
    I install 2 rrd-6ans dimmers in each location. Wire it appropriately.
    In the program do i just add them as individual units that turn on the same load? Is ther anything special to be done or am i makeing this more difficult then it needs to be.

On a 3-way (or 4-way, etc) circuit, you only have ONE dimmer that controls the load. You can then put remote dimmers (RD-RD) in the other locations.

Quote Originally Posted by phmartin View Post
    Say there is a pre-wired 3way switch for the stair light existing.
    I install 2 rrd-6ans dimmers in each location. Wire it appropriately.
    In a standard 3way application, you can only have one switch. You will need an RD-RS-WH for one side and the RRD-8ANS for the switch leg side. Two RRD-8ANS's will end up working against each other.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Okk lol feeling a little slow.
    Many ppl explained it right and i just wasnt understanding.
    So just install the dimmer on switch leg and cap unused wires in dimmer remote side.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast