Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Options for higher rated switch.

Options for higher rated switch.

I've been looking to add some home automation for a while, and I think the Caseta system may be the best best fit for what I'm looking for in general. (The RadioRA system would be even better, but is beyond the budget for what I'm looking for.)

I do have one problem I'm not sure how to solve, however. I have a set of lights running down my driveway that I would love to be able to control remotely. This would be straightforward to do by replacing the On/Off switch with the Caseta On/Off switch, except that there are outlets at the bottom of the posts also controlled by the same switch. These outlets are used to run things like leaf blowers. It appears, from reading the specs, the Caseta switches can't deal with this type of load.

Is this a correct understanding? If so, is there some workaround for this? The main goal is "Siri, turn on the driveway lights" so whatever the workaround, HomeKit compatibility is needed.

Thanks.

You could have an electrician install a relay rated for the whole circuit & trigger it with the Caseta switch. There would be no load on the Caseta switch other than the coil of the relay however from a control perspective it would work the same.

We use Omron G7J for a cheap reliable power relay.

Quote Originally Posted by BradKas View Post
    You could have an electrician install a relay rated for the whole circuit & trigger it with the Caseta switch. There would be no load on the Caseta switch other than the coil of the relay however from a control perspective it would work the same.

We use Omron G7J for a cheap reliable power relay.
    You will also need a "neutral" switch to control the relay such as the pd-6ans-wh

4. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post