Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which Caseta switch to use for on/off control of 12V 50W MR16 spotlight

Which Caseta switch to use for on/off control of 12V 50W MR16 spotlight

Which Caseta wall switch should I use to turn off/on a 12V 50W MR16 spotlight. I see a PD-5WS-DV and a newer PD-6ANS. I comared the two and one is 5v and one is 6v max but not sure if it makes a difference which i choose. My wiring does have a neutral wire which i know the PD-6ANS requires.

Thanks.

Either would work, but if you ever plan on replacing the lamp with an LED, I would use the PD-6ANS. It will have a lower required minimum wattage.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    Either would work, but if you ever plan on replacing the lamp with an LED, I would use the PD-6ANS. It will have a lower required minimum wattage.
    Could you clarify for me how the PD-6ANS has a lower required minimum and how that is important for LED bulbs?

All the neutral digital devices have a minimum wattage of 10w versus the non-neutral which have a minimum wattage of 50. The LED MR16 is usually around 7w, plus transformer losses, would work almost all the time with the PD-6ANS.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

5. Thanks Millium735 thanked for this post
    Lutron Technical Support
    Since you have the neutral wire in the wall box, I also recommend using the PD-6ANS switch to control the MR16 LEDs.

BTW - i got the PD-6ANS switches and installed them this weekend - they work great :)

On a related topic to this, I am having a similar issue with some LED's plugged in. I have three under cabinet LED's that are rated at 24v and 3.5W each. I was having a problem with these when using a PD-5WS-DV, in that they we flashing on then off every few seconds. They are probably not approved bulbs, and low current draw, so no big surprise. However I thought this might go away by switching them with a lamp module, set to on/off mode, however the problem persisted, you can still see the the small power LED on the transformer charging up, then flashing the bulb before dissipating the charge. If I use the PD-6ANS will this problem go away, is it a true on/off switch (I do not need dimming)?

Lutron Technical Support
    DML, If you are using the plug-in module in switched mode and having this issue with LEDs, we've seen cases of customers plugging in something on the other output, even a phone charger in one case, has been enough of a load to get the LEDs to react properly when switched. Otherwise, yes using the PD-6ANS neutral based switch should clear up the issue you are having with switching those MR16 bulbs. The PS-6ANS is a true on/off switch.