Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which Caseta switch to control 50W 12V MR16 spotlight?

Which Caseta switch to control 50W 12V MR16 spotlight?

Which Caseta wall switch should I use to turn off/on a 12V 50W MR16 spotlight. I see a PD-5WS-DV and a newer PD-6ANS. I comared the two and one is 5v and one is 6v max but not sure if it makes a difference which i choose. My wiring does have a neutral wire which i know the PD-6ANS requires.

Thanks.

Lutron Technical Support
    For an LED load (especially if it's an MR16) and because you have a neutral wire in the wall box, I would recommend using the PD-6ANS switch.

Quote Originally Posted by bscheffel View Post
    Which Caseta wall switch should I use to turn off/on a 12V 50W MR16 spotlight. I see a PD-5WS-DV and a newer PD-6ANS. I comared the two and one is 5v and one is 6v max but not sure if it makes a difference which i choose. My wiring does have a neutral wire which i know the PD-6ANS requires.

Thanks.
    Is your MR16 and halogen bulb or LED? By reading "50 W" I imagine it's an halogen bulb. In this case, in my opinion any of the two switches should work. But if it's an LED load, then always go with the dimmer that requires neutral wire, because the neutral connection eliminates the extra current going through the LED bulb when it is off to power the dimmer courtesy LEDs).

I have installed several of the PD-5WS-DV switches in the home but the prices on these are going up quite steadily. Meanwhile, the PD-6ANS is now quite a bit lower in pricing. I have read on the differences and the only one I seem to really notice is the neutral wire on the PD-6ANS. Is that the only difference and is it required to be used for the switch to work? I know most boxes should have a neutral in there, but several boxes that I have already been in have them bundled up and stuffed in the back.