Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is HWQS unreliable?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    SparkyCoog, have you sent HWsupport any support files from your jobs that have been experiencing these issues? We would like to look into any issues that you are experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig W. View Post
    SparkyCoog, have you sent HWsupport any support files from your jobs that have been experiencing these issues? We would like to look into any issues that you are experiencing.
    For minor weirdness it wasn't worth the time or the effort as another upload solved the issue, but for some other things, I did contact tech support. I don't want to sound unhappy about QS or Lutron because as I said, they are the best wireless systems out there, but I just wanted to make the point that things are a little different when you're working with 3 or 4 devices in a lab setting (or hotel conference room of a road show) than a big house when you've been uploading things a few times. And again, I've found QS to be the most reliable of any wireless product including Lutron's other products.

The weirdest issue I ever had with QS was with a Honeywell thermostat where I had activated 9 of them on QS Link One's hybrid repeater but the 10th one would not activate. I called support and we reset it a few times and it just refused to activate and it was getting late and my cell phone was about to die. I moved it (in the software) from link 1 to QS Link 2 (we had many devices in the house) and voila! It activated the first time. Both hybrid repeaters for QS1 and QS2 the signal were about 25 feet away so it was just random weirdness. It worked so I was happy to go home!

3. Likes digit1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    For minor weirdness it wasn't worth the time or the effort as another upload solved the issue, but for some other things, I did contact tech support. I don't want to sound unhappy about QS or Lutron because as I said, they are the best wireless systems out there, but I just wanted to make the point that things are a little different when you're working with 3 or 4 devices in a lab setting (or hotel conference room of a road show) than a big house when you've been uploading things a few times. And again, I've found QS to be the most reliable of any wireless product including Lutron's other products.

The weirdest issue I ever had with QS was with a Honeywell thermostat where I had activated 9 of them on QS Link One's hybrid repeater but the 10th one would not activate. I called support and we reset it a few times and it just refused to activate and it was getting late and my cell phone was about to die. I moved it (in the software) from link 1 to QS Link 2 (we had many devices in the house) and voila! It activated the first time. Both hybrid repeaters for QS1 and QS2 the signal were about 25 feet away so it was just random weirdness. It worked so I was happy to go home!
    I can relate to that set of symptoms and solution. It was a QS RF non-hybrid keypad. Within range of 2 different RF links, and moving it from Link 1 to Link 2 made the keypad happy. Days earlier it was happy on Link 1. These are usually the sorts of items you don't have the luxury to stick around and troubleshoot, you are just happy it's working. Reliablity with Lutron QS is very high, I'm very happy with it, I like to say once you get past activation and transfer it is bulletproof. I do get that same odd feeling that after 2,3,6 transfers in a row the odds of weirdness after transfer go UP. Sometimes just rebooting my PC seems to help. Anyway YES I'm very happy with QS and Lutron's tech support. 6.0 has been a big improvement, I'm itching to see what's new with 7.0-

I have had similar issues where I had to send my project file to CS where they repaired a corruption that wasn't visible in Designer. That's probably what deleting a button and re-doing it accomplishes in some cases, it resets a flaky field in the database. Ditto for unassigning and reassigning. My issue was way back in the v3 days, and since I have only once had an LED go wonky on me since; I fixed it by clearing the button and re-programming it. But there might still be cases where a CS tech has to manually repair the database.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12