Feit LED lamps with a Lutron AYCL253P
I had my kitchen remodel completed last week. The electrical contractor installed 5 inch cans (7) for total wattage of 150.5. Each lamp was rated at 21.5 watts. The lamps, Feit CELEDRT56/9272, were on the Lutron list of approved lamps. From the start we have had a consistent buzzing coming from the lamps. I called the Lutron tech line and spoke to a specialist about the buzzing noise. He told me that the original dimmer that the contractor installed, an AYCL153P, was not the correct dimmer. He told me to install the AYCL253P since the wattage was higher than the AYCL153P and the lamps would not buzz. I ordered the AYCL253P and it came in yesterday. I installed it the same as the 153P and I noticed that the ground wire on the 153P was not connected. I did not connect the ground on the 253P but am still getting the buzzing from the lamps. Could the missing ground wire be the source of the buzzing problem or could it be something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated since the buzzing is extremely aggravating.
Authorized Lutron Contributor
Hello fedexhd310, The ground wire will most likely have no effect on the buzzing you are experiencing. When LEDs are used on a dimming control, depending on the design of the bulb, they can produce high current spikes. These high spikes may cause the bulbs or the dimmer itself to produce an audible buzz or hum. Due to design and manufacturing variation, the volume of this buzz will differ from one to the next. We can suggest choosing a different brand of bulb or contacting the Feit to see if they have a dimmer that they can recommend which will not produce an audible noise.
If you visit www.lutron.com/ledtool you will be able to generate a list of compatible LED products for our dimming controls. This list will link you to report cards which will list the performance you will experience with our controls and the LED’s listed. If buzzing is noticed during testing it will be listed at the bottom of the page under “Test Comments”.
The best way to make sure you don’t have buzzing is the use the LED Product Selection Tool. To be honest this is not the best tool to try and use while you are in the hardware store. This is a good way to research bulbs and determine what you would like to purchase online or before you head to the store. I understand this take a bit of work, but this will help you locate a bulb without buzzing.
1. Under Fixture/Lamp Type, Select “Downlight”
2. Under Lutron Control, Select the “CL Dimmers”
3. You do not need to make any other selections, but you can select a preferred manufacturer to get a smaller list
4. Click on the orange Search button
5. The page will refresh, Scroll down
6. A table will appear with a list of all the LED lights we have tested for your product
7. In the third column of each row, there is a PDF link to a report card on each LED fixture
Selecting and interpreting the report card:
1. If you would like to view the report card of a bulb, click on the orange PDF link in the third column of the table, under the Product Name heading.
2. A new window will open, this is the Lutron Product Report Card.
3. In the heading, you will see information about the bulb, including make and model number.
4. Below this you will see a table. Buzzing results may be listed in the right hand column under “Comments”