Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can dimmer remember favorite setting?

this won't help in terms of physically using the switch to save a pre-set brightness but if you set up a scene via the app, then the brightness gets saved when turning on/off with the app or using alexa/google home voice commands.

for example, let's say you are installing the dimmer switch in the dining room...

1. name the switch "Dining"
    2. set up a scene called "Dining Room"
    3. in the scene, add the "Dining" switch and set the brightness.

now whenever you use the scene, the lights will use the brightness level used in the scene.

when you integrate with alexa or google home, add the scene and when you say "alexa/ok google, turn on dining room" - it will utilize the settings in the scene itself.

only issue using alexa/google home with a scene, there's no "turn off" for scenes so you'll have to turn off the actually device, so you must say "turn off dining". or set up another group (with a different name) like "Dining Room Lights" and add the "Dining" switch. then you can say "alexa/ok google, turn off dining room lights".

a bit of a pain to remember to use one name to turn on and another to turn off since there's no "alexa/ok google, turn off <name of scene>"

another update - using alexa...you can simply say:

"alexa, set dining room 50" - and it will turn to 50% brightness
    "alexa, set dining room 0" - and it will make it 0% which is the same as turning it off
    "alexa, set dining room 75" - and it will turn to 75% brightness

so voice commands will work no matter what - and using the above, no need to even set up scenes.

but still no saving on the physical switch when you turn it off and on.

update - no need to even say the word "set"...simply say "alexa, dining room 50" and it works.

Is there any way I can set a max dimmer level to always go to max of say 80%?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by precator View Post
    Yes. Look at the instructions for setting high-end trim. It involves pressing a series of buttons on the switch.

Lutron developers, we haven't seen any status updates lately on this topic. Please give us some news. I just upgraded all of my Lutron Maestro switches to the Caseta and now realize they don't recall a favorite or last used level. Using remote dimmers can only help some of the pain here.

6. Likes Beagle87 liked this post
    Do you have an Amazon Alexa? You can use voice commands to turn on scenes or set dimmers to different levels.
    "Alexa, dim kitchen to 43%"

Quote Originally Posted by fosser2 View Post
    Lutron developers, we haven't seen any status updates lately on this topic. Please give us some news. I just upgraded all of my Lutron Maestro switches to the Caseta and now realize they don't recall a favorite or last used level. Using remote dimmers can only help some of the pain here.
    I just want to add my voice to the crowd here to ask Lutron to add the preset option/switch to the no-neutral required Caséta dimmers. As an owner of a 1948 home I really want to install these things all over the house but the lack of a preset switch has had me waiting for a couple of years now. The more expensive options unfortunately require the neutral - I would probably be looking at 20-25 switches if it had that preset.

another vote for this basic functionality (favourite setting) that almost every modern dimmer can do. can't believe they don't do this, when the basic maestro digital dimmer does

I agree that this basic functionality should be added with a firmware update. However, this workaround is working pretty well for me, since I mostly just want two brightness levels — bright in the day and dim at night. 1. In Apple HomeKit, make two scenes and two automations for each dimmer. 2. When the light turns on during the day, set the bright scene. 3. When the light turns on at night, set the dim scene.

Quote Originally Posted by llamafilm View Post
    I agree that this basic functionality should be added with a firmware update. However, this workaround is working pretty well for me, since I mostly just want two brightness levels — bright in the day and dim at night. 1. In Apple HomeKit, make two scenes and two automations for each dimmer. 2. When the light turns on during the day, set the bright scene. 3. When the light turns on at night, set the dim scene.
    I’ll second this. I bought my Caseta starter kit today and was disappointed to find that the dimmer can’t store a preferred brightness level. Pretty basic. Especially coming from a maestro dimmer. There are workarounds but really, this function ought to come straight from the switch mfr. Hoping for a firmware fix soon! Otherwise a very big fan of Lutron!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast