Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can dimmer remember favorite setting?

And this new switch is double the cost of the other switches.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanJax View Post
    It looks like the new ELV switches have that option... PD-5NE

Appreciate the info NathanJax. Thanks.

Somewhat unfortunate news. Not sure I could have justified the increased cost for a favorite button on the master/parent switch.

I'm no technical wiz but you'd think a favorite setting could be established through a firmware update on the switch - something that would enable a button confirguration to achieve the same result.

HomeKit compatibility was a big driver in installing these switches. I suspect we'll just retrain ourselves to use voice commands vs manually setting brightness via the actual switch.

Ouch! Just for a favorite button?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by tangle free View Post
    Appreciate the info NathanJax. Thanks.

Somewhat unfortunate news. Not sure I could have justified the increased cost for a favorite button on the master/parent switch.

I'm no technical wiz but you'd think a favorite setting could be established through a firmware update on the switch - something that would enable a button confirguration to achieve the same result.

HomeKit compatibility was a big driver in installing these switches. I suspect we'll just retrain ourselves to use voice commands vs manually setting brightness via the actual switch.
    If you setup standard scenes in our app, or HomeKit scenes (Siri) using the native iOS 10 app called "Home", a single button press will send all associated devices to "preset" levels. This tends to be much more convenient than walking to the in-wall dimmer, especially if you set up the Apple today widget or the HomeKit widget.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangle free View Post
    Ouch! Just for a favorite button?
    The ELV+ dimmer (PD-5NE) is much different than the standard Caseta in-wall dimmer (PD-6WCL). In addition to adding the preset button, the PD-5NE has the ability to control MLV and ELV loads. For this to be possible, the dimmer needs to be able to provide both forward phase (for MLV) and reverse phase (for ELV) dimming curves. ELV dimmers are traditionally more expensive than their "forward phase, triac-based" counterparts because of the type of components used. Phase selectable dimmers, like the PD-5NE, can be even more expensive than standard ELV dimmers that only do reverse phase dimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach R. View Post
    The ELV+ dimmer (PD-5NE) is much different than the standard Caseta in-wall dimmer (PD-6WCL). In addition to adding the preset button, the PD-5NE has the ability to control MLV and ELV loads. For this to be possible, the dimmer needs to be able to provide both forward phase (for MLV) and reverse phase (for ELV) dimming curves. ELV dimmers are traditionally more expensive than their "forward phase, triac-based" counterparts because of the type of components used. Phase selectable dimmers, like the PD-5NE, can be even more expensive than standard ELV dimmers that only do reverse phase dimming.
    Understood not everyone needs the advanced benefits of the ELV dimmer itself. I think this is great justification for bringing the "favorite" button back to the non-ELV portion of the dimmer line. Specifically, if you have a house without neutrals in the box, there's no way to get physical "favorite" buttons on your in-wall dimmers today. I'd love to see "no-neutral-required" Caseta dimmers with the favorite button.

I would like to add a comment to this thread with the hopes that Lutron might hear the concerns of its customers and consider making a firmware update to their devices.

I have had Maestro dimmers in my home for over a decade and I agree with the comments in this section regarding the dimmer's "return to the previously configured brightness" behavior. It was simple to use, only requires a double-tap to go to full brightness, and has been instrumental my homes knowing that children, family, guests have a tendency to just walk into a room and turn the light on HIGH. Such a simple feature that always existed, and I purchased 600$ of equipment and installed it all before realizing this feature was removed from the new technology.

I'm in IT, and I know for certain that updating the firmware to support an alternate mode of operation to restore the single-press/double-press functionality couldn't be that hard to code and implement. Although, this feature should have never been missing from the product in the first place.

I'm not a happy customer, and since the devices are installed i'm now stuck with them. :(

I'd also like to add my voice to the need for Lutron to add this feature. I recently replaced a number of Maestro dimmers with Caseta, assuming the same "retain previous brightness" feature would be present. The lack of this feature was almost a deal-breaker for the members of my family, who didn't like the change in behaviour & now find it very annoying to always have to use the dimmer buttons, or forget and end up turning the light on full (not cool at night). Having used the Maestro dimmers for years, they're now conditioned to expect the lights to remember their previous dim level.

Adding in the capability to "double-tap" the ON button for full brightness would make sense. This is the same behaviour as the Maestro brand, so it would be a common action across lines. I can't see how this would be confusing to the consumer. Even if it were, simply add an option in the app to disable the feature and let the customer decide.

I've already sent my feedback to Lutron via email, and was told my suggestion would be passed along to the engineering team. Hopefully people who are dissatisfied with this feature gap make enough noise to be heard.

8. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Just wanted to add my vote for a preset levels on as many device types as possible. As a lighting and controls consultant the lack of the preset is something I have to explain to clients and it's always seen as a significant flaw. Without it, the dimmer is basically a 'fade on full on' device unless you are willing to manually set the level every time you enter the room.

10. Thanks hardhatmack thanked for this post
    I too wanted to add to this thread with my dissapointment with the in Caseta in wall dimmer's lack of a preset favorite button, or simple return to previous level....what a bummer. Makes the dimmers kinda of a pain in the backside to use manually.

Just installed the lutron dimmer w/motion sensor, and that thing returns to previous level- double tap for full brightness...that's perfect, love it. Oh so sensitive- impressive.

cmon Lutron- send us all free updated ones...

I too would like a preset. Had to buy many extra picos due to multiple light groups and I hit the 50 device limit real fast.

- - - Updated - - -

I too would like a preset. Had to buy many extra picos due to multiple light groups and I hit the 50 device limit real fast.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast