Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caseta/z wave/zigbee/bluetooth/wifi Only one product does it wll and it is going away

Caseta/z wave/zigbee/bluetooth/wifi Only one product does it wll and it is going away

I have been an advocate for the Staples Connect for the last year. It is the only hub that I found that integrates Caseta Pico remotes and dimmers into the system so that they can work with the z-wave devices and do not have to have internet access (long turn around times) to work.

Who else does this well and, do I have to spend hundreds more $$ to get decent integration?

Lutron makes the best dimmers and remotes. I am prefere the GE wall switches because the look and work more like the decor switches that are manual. And I am afraid that the Leveton fan control is the only fair prices good 3 speed control. I also use motion sensors and light sensors to control lights.

It would be nice to have all of this rolled into a simple (even 2 piece) system that also supports the Echo without any absurd programming to pull it off.

The D-Link Staple Connect has all of the hardware but no software updates and the Lutron Caseta integration is the best.

HELP US LUTRON!!!!!!!!

Do the Caseta switches work as smoothly on the Staples hub as they do the Litron hub? I still run my staples connect as I got tired of Smartthings and wink and really wanted Litron lighting control

Do the Caseta switches work as smoothly on the Staples hub as they do the Lutron hub? I still run my staples connect as I got tired of Smartthings and wink and really wanted Lutron lighting control.

Caseta dimmers work as smoothly through the Staples hub as the pico remotes d,o connected directly to the dimmer. It is so seamless it is impressive. The shame in this is that Staples is discontinuing the Staples Connect and Wink dose not support the pico remotes in a seamless and stand alone fashion the same way. Nobody seams to integrate Lutron Caseta seamlessly with z-wave and zigbee devices.
    Case and point: how do I use a Pico remote to open my garage door?

Is Staples actually discontinuing their hub? They have told me several times they still have new things to introduce. The last time they said that was two months ago.

I have benn in constant communication with Staples support (I have attempted to reach Zonoff and have been ignored), and even got a letter through to the office of the president of Staples (got a typical response like: yea we will look into it, the; no they won't tell us anything). I even got into a heated email thread with Staples support which I published on their forum. Thy pulled the post, sent an apology letter and the proceeded to ignore the issue again. Now, they no longer sell the product on their web site (they look like they are but you cannot buy it). I did find someone on Amazon selling them but they likely are just unloading them from Staples. In the mean time, there have been no updates for a year and all I am seeing is lip service.

Staples as a company is looking pretty bad here.

I am trying to work with Wink now, to get them to implement the same methodology as the Staples Connect. I am afraid though, that the design of the Wink might render them useless without the Internet connection working.

We will see what happens in the future but, don't hold you breath on SC. What you have is all you are going to get. It is just a matter of time until the cloud service goes down. So far, nobody has come up with a hack for the device either. The domain registration expires in October of 2017,

If you want to integrate the Caseta and Zwave look at the Homesser software, just create a plug-in for the Caseta.

go in the forum of Homeseer to see the details

That is a brilliant idea (gee I wish I already didn't spend so much time looking at that possibility). You have to buy seperate hub for the Caseta (Unless you happen to know of a usb radio for it). Then do all of the programming (along with all of the rest of the spare time I have). Come on. Someone already invented the wheel. They just decided to abandon it and Lutron doesn't seem to care if their stuff integrates into a complete home system.

Quote Originally Posted by markeby View Post
    That is a brilliant idea (gee I wish I already didn't spend so much time looking at that possibility). You have to buy seperate hub for the Caseta (Unless you happen to know of a usb radio for it). Then do all of the programming (along with all of the rest of the spare time I have). Come on. Someone already invented the wheel. They just decided to abandon it and Lutron doesn't seem to care if their stuff integrates into a complete home system.
    You only need the Lutron SmartBridge. Then the Homeseer can control the device.

My point is....Have you done it? Where is all of the sample code to read the Pico remote switch inputs? Do the Pico remotes pair with the hub and can the be read directly into Homeseer? Or, do they require pairing (through the hub) directly to the dimmer control? I have looked the repo code and the connection information to the Lutron hub looks vague as if it is sort of an idea but short on real usable code. I would expect code to read the pico and set the switches. I don't have the time to experiment with it especially since Zonoff has done it with a single piece of hardware. I do not have the time to reinvent the wheel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast