Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete Home Solution

Does this mean from a user perspective (not programming), both Control4/Lutron lighting solutions function the same when used with Control4 main processor for whole home automation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimerize View Post
    For example, if you need to dim a light dimmable via ELV (TRIAC) or 0-10V method, Caseta won't have an in-wall dimmer for that.
    Pretty sure this isn't true or at least misleading. I'm not an expert on obscure types of ELV lighting, but I've installed Caseta PD-5NE dimmers in a number of ELV situations and it's always worked fine. (Switches from forward / reverse phase fine, allows adjustment of low and high end trim, etc.)

The 30 ft radius in Caseta is theoretical.
    In practice, the 30 ft number seems quite conservative. It works across 3,000 square foot houses from basement to 2nd story. You will hit the 50 device limit long before you hit the 50 foot range limit, unless you have unusual construction.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGuy View Post
    Pretty sure this isn't true or at least misleading. I'm not an expert on obscure types of ELV lighting, but I've installed Caseta PD-5NE dimmers in a number of ELV situations and it's always worked fine. (Switches from forward / reverse phase fine, allows adjustment of low and high end trim, etc.)

In practice, the 30 ft number seems quite conservative. It works across 3,000 square foot houses from basement to 2nd story. You will hit the 50 device limit long before you hit the 50 foot range limit, unless you have unusual construction.
    You are correct, but my post was from 2015... By now indeed Caseta released ELV dimmers, wasn't the case in 2015.

I operate in NYC and the RF density here is high. Besides, we deal with concrete/brick constructions very often. Correct placement of the Caseta hub is key for the 30 ft radius, and that's not always possible. Caseta does not offer repeaters either. In RA2 systems, we can add repeaters, which has been instrumental for successful deployments.

Ah, I had no idea your post was from over a year ago. Makes sense!

Caseta does not offer repeaters either. In RA2 systems, we can add repeaters, which has been instrumental for successful deployments.
    You can use 1 plug in lamp dimmer as a repeater, in the iOS and Android app once you connect one to your system and it automatically will use that as a repeater.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
    Caseta can certainly be used as a whole home lighting control solution, but there are a couple things to note.

1. The Smart Bridge has an RF range of 30 ft. in all directions. This roughly equates to a home of about 2500 to 3000 sq. ft. If you are able to centrally locate the Smart Bridge in your home and run an Ethernet connection back to your Wi-Fi router you will optimize the RF coverage. The more open concept your home is, the better.

2. The Smart Bridge has a maximum device limit of 50 and the bridge counts as 1 device. Every dimmer, switch, Pico remote and shade also count as a device so make sure you won't be exceeding 50 (or really 49) devices in your home. There's also a limit of 1 Smart Bridge per system. It is possible to have more than one Smart Bridge in your home but I wouldn't recommend doing that since you'll need to create a unique account for each bridge meaning you'll need to log out of one system and into another system to control the whole house, which would create a bad user experience.

In regards to your other comments, you can use Lutron wireless occupancy sensors with Caseta dimmer and switches in standalone mode, meaning they cannot be paired to the Smart Bridge or controlled from the app. I have several rooms in my home with Caseta dimmers and occupancy sensors and have no need to have them be controlled by the app. The rooms I use them in are my bathrooms, mud room and walk-in closets. I have no need to schedule the lights in these rooms or control them with the app since the sensors handle the automation for me. Just something to consider in your application.

Also, Caseta does not offer keypads like RadioRA 2 does, but you can use the Caseta 4-button Pico's which have a keypad looking aesthetic. The list of 4-button Pico's that work with Caseta can be found on this page, http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/ProProducts.aspx. You can also get the buttons custom engraved for an added charge.

Lastly, Caseta currently does not support fan speed controls, however, many people use the Caseta on/off switch to control ceiling fans. You won't be able to adjust the speed of the fan, but using the Caseta switch would allow you to control your fans from the app, schedule them to turn on/off at certain times and add them to scenes.

Hope this helps answer your questions. If not, please let me know.
    Which Lutron wireless occupancy sensors with Caseta Dimmers are you using? This is something I would like to do and they don't need to be controlled by the bridge either. Bathrooms and some of our closets this would be perfect!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12