Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Wireless Control of HWQS System

Wireless Control of HWQS System

Almost posted this in the Troubleshooting section, but figured it'll be better open for General Discussion.

Long story short:
    We have a client who wants wireless control (think traditional IR remote) of the lights in the bedroom, because the bed will be located in the middle of the room (a good 5 meters from the closest in-wall keypad).

We've even run an additional control cable under the floor boards near where the bed will be located and offered to put a keypad in the headboard or bedside cabinet (or some sort of custom freestanding keypad holder), but they don't want this.

Next, I know you're screaming "get it on the network and use Home Control+", bingo! That was my first offering, seeing as the processor sits on the network. Again, they don't want to use their phone/tablet to control the lights - even tried plying them with the idea of having a dedicated Android device locked down to the app to control the whole house.

It transpires they had caught wind of the Pico RF remotes and figured it'll be nice to have one of those sitting by the bedside to control the lights - now, is this possible? Am I thinking along the right tracks of adding a Hybrid repeater (to the control cable under the bed) would make the RF remote work with the existing system?

PS. We've also offered adding third party control, which would be the easiest solution for us (we do a lot of RTI & Savant) but they don't to fork out the additional cost.

Any ideas or suggestions - no matter how wild - are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by rudi_circle View Post

We've even run an additional control cable under the floor boards near where the bed

It transpires they had caught wind of the Pico RF remotes and figured it'll be nice to have one of those sitting by the bedside to control the lights - now, is this possible? Am I thinking along the right tracks of adding a Hybrid repeater (to the control cable under the bed) would make the RF remote work with the existing system?.
    Yes I would think use the cable under the bed add a RF Repeater to the system. Of course you need to have an available link on a processor for RF or add another processor. At that point you can offer wireless tabletop keypads or Picos.

Fortunately for me I was on the phone to someone much wiser than myself when it comes Lutron not long after raising this problem and he mentioned the QS Sensor Module which does indeed allow usage of the Pico remote.

Problem solved.