Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Does initial setup via contractor mode require internet connection?

Does initial setup via contractor mode require internet connection?

I will be doing a Caseta job shortly and not sure what the internet situation is. I've been told by Lutron that I can skip creating an account by hitting contractor mode and either typing in the customer's email when done or not even do that and leave it for the customer to set up when they're ready at which time it will recognize the system and download the info.

Question 1: does this method require an internet connection or can I use a non internet connected router to just add the dimmers and picos to the system?

Question 2: either way (internet or no internet) if I setup the system via contractor mode and no info given, can I go back and add more devices later if the customer hasn't taken over yet?

Question 3: I'm still not 100% sure how contractor mode works. If I set it up with my own dummy account (assuming there is internet), and not give that info to the customer, can they still make up their own account and transfer the job without my help or account info?

Overall, my goal is to be and out of that job...this isn't my customer (it's for a designer) so I want to install the dimmers, add them to the system, and perhaps not see the customer unless they need me. What's the easiest way to do this? With Ra2, I'd easily do that with my trusty router.

Posting just to follow this thread. Good questions.

Yeah I just don't know why there isn't enough documentation for Caseta on the website given that it's a consumer brand. Just the other day I had to deal with a Caseta ELV dimmer that had a magnetic load on it and would not work so I go through the troubleshooting and look at the LED blinking and it tells me I need to change the load type and instead of just writing the paragraph in the pamphlet, it tells me to go to a website. I love Lutron's stuff but this sort of thing just makes me shake my head.