Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Occupancy switch triggers itself every hour

Well well--mystery solved! I called the tech support. The guy was nice and helpful (didn't insisting it's a cat walking). He mentioned that wireless routers may interfere with the switches.

It reminded me that my router is placed just 4 feet apart from the sensor--although separated by a wall. It's the same router (Asus N66U) and has always been placed at the same place. But around the same time the switch became haunted, I updated the router's firmware to the Merlin custom FW.

Can a custom FW alone cause the interference? It's a huge stretch but last night I turned off the router (can't do it during the day otherwise the family will suffocate) and set up a time-lapse camera. Guess what? The switch never came on once the whole night. So it IS the router! How crazy is that? Maybe the custom FW secretly boosts the signal strength (I always set it at 100% before)? But I would have never guessed. I will have to move it a foot away then.

2. Likes Jai H. liked this post
    Administrator
    Hello icefox, Thanks for the update. I am glad you were able to find the "ghost."

Hi..i have few queries...i want to know that are you using some sort of fan system in the house that periodically turns the air over? Any change in the HVAC requirements over the last few days? While excellent, the sensor may be fooled by large air masses of a different temperature suddenly moving within the space. The sensors are passive infrared; and this can be a problem for any sensor, although Lutron sensors are the best at the false triggers. Try setting the sensor to one less sensitive setting, and see if the problem persists.

No.. I have on demand ac but when this occurred ac wasn't running at all. They don't trigger every hour either anyway.

I am having this issue right now. It appeared only after I replaced the adjacent switches with smart ones. What would trigger the sensor? a wifi ping?

I too am seeing what Boibeast mentions. When I had the occupancy sensor installed in a two position location shared with a simple switch, I had no issues at all and the sensor behave as expected. Last week I replaced the simple switch with a Smart WiFi switch and bingo, the lights controlled by the occupancy sensor come on at random times. I adjusted the sensor mode to Manual-on and that seems to prevent the false triggering, but that defeats the purpose I purchased the occupancy sensor.Any ideas?

Same Problem

I recently install a WiFi controlled switch in the same box as the motion sensor switch and have the same problem. I suspected WiFi and started searching around, found this forum and this thread and sounds like I nailed it. Has anyone a solution? Motion switch is on low sensitivity. I've found if I pull it out of the box a little it seems to be OK. Right now trying some carboard between the switches (I know, WiFi goes can go through but little things (and it is the cold garage so not spending much time). I'm thinking the ideal solution is a grounded plate between them - exciting with power in there. My other thought is to bypass the motion switch and replace the bulbs with motion sensor ones.

Angry Kasa Wi-Fi Switch Causes Maestro Motion Dimmer to Randomly Turn On Lights!

Quote Originally Posted by opedal View Post
    I recently install a WiFi controlled switch in the same box as the motion sensor switch and have the same problem. I suspected WiFi and started searching around, found this forum and this thread and sounds like I nailed it. Has anyone a solution? Motion switch is on low sensitivity. I've found if I pull it out of the box a little it seems to be OK. Right now trying some carboard between the switches (I know, WiFi goes can go through but little things (and it is the cold garage so not spending much time). I'm thinking the ideal solution is a grounded plate between them - exciting with power in there. My other thought is to bypass the motion switch and replace the bulbs with motion sensor ones.
    I'm experiencing the same thing. I added a Maestro Motion Dimmer next to an existing Kasa Wi-Fi dimmer and noticed that the lights come on randomly during the night even when the motion sensor is blocked with electrical tape. They do not come on randomly during the day since I've set the Lutron to Ambient Light Detection (ALD) mode 3 which turns on lights only if the natural light in room is low. On a hunch that the existing Kasa Wi-Fi dimmer was causing the issue, I added a new Kasa Wi-Fi dimmer to a double-gang box with an existing Lutron Maestro Motion Dimmer and now it also turns the lights on randomly. Lutron, what the heck? Any ideas? It looks like I'm returning a bunch of recently purchased Lutron Motion Dimmers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12