Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6WCL-WH-D works with Lutron Hub?

PD-6WCL-WH-D works with Lutron Hub?

Hello, I am new to Lutron Caseta and to this forum. I'm looking forward to setting up my house with a number of Lutron switches and controlling it through Apple's Home Kit. I recently purchased some Caseta Wireless in-wall dimmer switches but noticed that they have the model number PD-6WCL-WH-D. They only mention working with the Wink Hub. Are these older stock items? Will they still work with the Lutron Smart Bridge? Two other unrelated questions... Do people use the Lutron app on iPhone or are there any 3rd party apps that people prefer? Also, a while ago I picked up some GE Link LED bulbs (but not their hub). I read that the Lutron Pico controllers can control these bulbs. I'm assuming that you can't use them with the Lutron Bridge - is that a correct understanding? Thanks in advance!

Lutron Technical Support
    You are correct. The GE Link bulbs won't work with our Caseta system dimmers. The PD-6WCL-WH-D should work fine with your Caseta smart bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by elav1 View Post
    Also, a while ago I picked up some GE Link LED bulbs (but not their hub). I read that the Lutron Pico controllers can control these bulbs.
    Lutron also makes a Connected Bulb Remote that uses the same design as their Picos. The Connected Bulb Remote uses Zigbee and can pair with the GE Link bulbs. I have a couple and they work great. They are also compatible with all the Pico accessories for wall mounting or using table stands. As Brian mentioned they do not integrate with any of the Caseta products.

If you want to control the Link Lights with a normal Pico you would need either:

1. a Staples Connect hub (effectively a dead product)
    2. the combination of the Caseta Smart Bridge Pro, a Vera controller, and the Caseta Plugin for Vera

#2 above costs a bit more with the more expensive Lutron Bridge, and a Vera, but it opens up a lot of functionality you don't get with the Lutron system alone.

4. Thanks veeeh thanked for this post
    Shawn, thanks for this additional information. I have the Lutron Smart Bridge, but based on your recommendation I think I should be looking for a Lutron Smart Bridge Pro to purchase. I went to the Vera site and it looks like you can pre-order the Vera Plus - do you recommend this? Also, it would be good if you could confirm my understanding that I need the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro to leverage the Vera (or Vera Plus) controller.

Full details here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.p...c,35577.0.html

i have one of the first batch of Vera Plus, it is working with my Smart Bridge Pro and GE Link lights. The plug in will work with either bridge, but it can have a delay controlling Lutron devices on the non-pro bridge, and can't detect Pico button presses. If you want instant control, and the ability to use Picos as scene controllers, you need the Smart Bridge Pro. The pro has an integration setting that allows telnet access that the plugin uses when available for those extra features.

I purchased the the pro bridge at the same time I preordered the Vera Plus. You can "upgrade" from the Smart Bridge to the Pro in the Lutron app, but it really just associates the new bridge with your account (you can only have on Lutron Bridge per email address). Part of the "upgrade" process is that it resets all the Caseta devices. Once the pro bridge is on your account you have to readd all the Lutron devices, re-create scenes, etc.

I've been using that combination for 2 or 3 weeks now and have been very happy with it. It is a way better experience than just the Caseta stuff on its own. It actually shows what the Caseta stuff could do if Lutron didn't hamstring it for marketing purposes.

edit:
    changed URL to point at beginning of thread with good info rather than last page.

Thanks again. I'm new to this and want to confirm that when you say "upgrade" from SM to Pro, this isn't a software upgrade to the Smart Bridge hardware, but upgrading your Lutron account, once you own the Pro hardware - right? I'll check out the forum link too.

You have to purchase a whole new Smart Bridge Pro, you can't software upgrade to that feature set. It would be nice though. :)