Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Count down timer feature for Ra2

Count down timer feature for Ra2

I have had several customers asking me for a count down timer for the Ra2 to control bath fans, heaters and etc in the system.

2. Likes ekimla, John_Nau liked this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for this feedback; we will forward this information to our RadioRa2 development team on a fan-timer feature. Using two keypad buttons, however, you could simulate the functionality of a timer. Please see the steps belowfor a workaround on creating a bath fan timer for RadioRa 2. HomeWorks uses sequences to achieve this functionality. Unfortunately, RA2 does not have this ability. The only drawback is that this method will use two buttons to complete the task.

Process:

1. Create a button that will control the bath switch. I called this button "Fan On/Off". Associate it with the switch and make it a toggle. This way the end user can switch the load off if they wish when they exit the room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bath%20Button%201.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	85

2. Next, create a button called timer. This is going to be the second button used in this process. This button will execute the timer then will shut the fan off. Make the button type a "Single/Multi room scene". Set the level for the switch to off. This will make the switch turn off when the delay is met. Next you can set up the delay. If you do not see the delay option, right click the "Programmed Item Name" toolbar and select "Show Delay". Set the delay for the time until the load will shut off. In this example, it is set to 20 minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bath%20Button%202.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	86

4. Thanks Jeff R thanked for this post
    Yeah, that work-around would do it, but you'd lose the visual indicator of the countdown interval or the ability to manually change it.

The Maestro MA-T51 count-down timer is really a great solution for bath fans. It looks like, and operates like, a dimmer but uses the raise/lower to affect the timer, showing you that on the LEDs. Having that as a RA2 device would be terrific. If we're wishing, how about having a RA2 version of the MA?L3T251 dual light and timer control? Now, THAT would be awesome! I suspect those with ceiling fan applications would likewise be thrilled... Even if you don't use the timer, the dual fan/light in a single gang opening really comes in handy for retrofits.

Thanks, I am familiar with the count down timer as I have sold several of them. Usually when I am asked for this they only have a keypad at the location and not able to add another device and or they do not want a two gang at that location. I had spoke with a Lutron Tech person awhile back and we were discussing it and we came to the conclusion that since there is a time clock in the system it should be able do it but would have to be written in to the software. Since I am getting asked for this more fequently I thought I would throw it out there to see if they might be working on it or someone has found a good way to do it.

Having this as a software function would be nice. Indeed, it should be possible for the RR2 processor to do this simple function if Lutron programs it.

8. Thanks tpharper42 thanked for this post
    I would also like to add this as a recommended feature on a future software update.

I agree too, but even if sold an RF-enabled timer switch, that would be great... i.e. RRD-T51

Quote Originally Posted by ekimla View Post
    I agree too, but even if sold an RF-enabled timer switch, that would be great... i.e. RRD-T51
    Yes and a HQRD-T51 also please.

I would also request a countdown timer for RA2. It would seem like a no-brainer for such a system. The majority of the competing lighting control systems have a timer feature.

I doubt that the issue is really the hardware capabilities of the product. I suspect that is has more to do with keeping a line drawn between RA2 and HWQS.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    2. Next, create a button called timer. This is going to be the second button used in this process. This button will execute the timer then will shut the fan off. Make the button type a "Single/Multi room scene". Set the level for the switch to off. This will make the switch turn off when the delay is met. Next you can set up the delay. If you do not see the delay option, right click the "Programmed Item Name" toolbar and select "Show Delay". Set the delay for the time until the load will shut off. In this example, it is set to 20 minutes.
    Under what scenarios is having an action delayed like this useful?

Because it seems an odd kind of feature to have an event occur but delay it's action. It'd seem more useful to have something like a toggled on/off where the action turns the light on, and then the delay counts down and turns it back off again. It seems really counter-intuitive to have to use a separate button to trigger the off timer. Yeah, I could see situations where you'd want to be able to manually turn something on and leave it that way. But I'd imagine a great many more scenarios would benefit from just a regular countdown timer sort of action.

The only scenario that comes to mind is a staggered lighting along a path. As in, turn on light 1, delay 10 seconds, turn on light 2, delay another 10 seconds, turn on light 3, etc. Then have the same sort of back-tracking turning them off in reverse. Or maybe an "all off" sort of function at the exit of a space with a stairway. As in, turn off everything on the lower level, but give me 2 minutes light in the stairwell. But if it's incandescent lighting using fade timer is almost as effective. Personally, I find timed paths are never accurate enough to be worthwhile.

What else would benefit from using the delay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast