Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Count down timer feature for Ra2

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    Under what scenarios is having an action delayed like this useful?

Because it seems an odd kind of feature to have an event occur but delay it's action. It'd seem more useful to have something like a toggled on/off where the action turns the light on, and then the delay counts down and turns it back off again. It seems really counter-intuitive to have to use a separate button to trigger the off timer. Yeah, I could see situations where you'd want to be able to manually turn something on and leave it that way. But I'd imagine a great many more scenarios would benefit from just a regular countdown timer sort of action.

The only scenario that comes to mind is a staggered lighting along a path. As in, turn on light 1, delay 10 seconds, turn on light 2, delay another 10 seconds, turn on light 3, etc. Then have the same sort of back-tracking turning them off in reverse. Or maybe an "all off" sort of function at the exit of a space with a stairway. As in, turn off everything on the lower level, but give me 2 minutes light in the stairwell. But if it's incandescent lighting using fade timer is almost as effective. Personally, I find timed paths are never accurate enough to be worthwhile.

What else would benefit from using the delay?
    This scenario is useful if a customer wants to leave a bathroom fan on for a certain amount of time after they have left. This ensures the user does not forget to return and turn the fan off.

The delay function is used to complete the action but delay the time when it will happen.

Another example could be to turn off the room lights in 5 minutes to give the customer enough time to gather some items and leave the room, or if the customer has to walk across the room but doesn't want to try and navigate through the dark. It is useful instead of using a long fade time which will constantly decrease the light while the user is trying to complete a quick task.

You could potentially use a motion detector with an appropriately timed turn off after vacancy to achieve this. Assumption being that they walk in the room and turn it on causing motion to be detected. Depending on the path and activity you'd set the time duration longer or shorter to get the approximate desired turn off time. Once they were done in the bathroom.

I'd love to see one of these work with RadioRA:

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

I use the delay for a long fade when I have some non-dimmed lighting (i.e. a lamp dimmer using LEDs) along with some that dims. At home, I have a "going upstairs to bed" time clock (3 AM) that fades on a pathway of lights while I slowly fade the other lights to give people the chance to realize it's going out if we're up too late. I have the non-dimmed lighting turn off toward the end of the fade.

Edit: I see a reply above and I replied to the last post on page 1.

Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm wondering if this functionality is available for keypads yet? As originally requested, not the solution which requires two keypad buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm wondering if this functionality is available for keypads yet? As originally requested, not the solution which requires two keypad buttons.
    The count down or "rollback" as they call it applies to the dimmers and switches. But it is my understanding you could still initiate it with a keypad.
    In other words, program the roll back feature to the dimmers you would like and then program a button to control them (toggle or scene).

The down side is the switches and dimmers will always fall under this "rollback" countdown condition. Whether used directly or initiated by keypad(motion, etc...).
    Another side effect is any scene, motion sensor or other communication to the rollback dimmers would restart the countdown unless a 0% command is sent.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that my experience and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by paulhanks View Post
    The count down or "rollback" as they call it applies to the dimmers and switches. But it is my understanding you could still initiate it with a keypad.
    In other words, program the roll back feature to the dimmers you would like and then program a button to control them (toggle or scene).

The down side is the switches and dimmers will always fall under this "rollback" countdown condition. Whether used directly or initiated by keypad(motion, etc...).
    Another side effect is any scene, motion sensor or other communication to the rollback dimmers would restart the countdown unless a 0% command is sent.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that my experience and understanding.
    You are correct, the rollback and sensors are not to be used together (I believe the software won't allow it). The rollback feature monitors the dimmers and switches assigned to the room that has the rollback. Any time, keypad or manual or timeclock function, that the dimmer or switch is activated the rollback restarts.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Would still be nice to have a timer function built-in to RA2. Any update on adding this feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_West View Post
    Would still be nice to have a timer function built-in to RA2. Any update on adding this feature?
    This is not going to be implemented. You can however make another button to turn the load off, just use the delay. Label appropriately- the system will report the lights as off, while they are still on. Name the button Delay Off or something similar and make it a Scene/Multi-room Scene button type. Eliminates confusion when the button tries to turn on, button turns on, but has the same delay. Leave the normal button a toggle, allows for instant off as well as the delayed button
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks Mike -- I can see this solution working for a fan control. However, if you want a light to turn off, that's controlled by a dimmer, this solution doesn't work -- the light would just gradually dim over 20 minutes -- unless I'm overlooking something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast