Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual / Fake dimmer for integration feedback

Talking Virtual / Fake dimmer for integration feedback

Hi,
    I would like to add a virtual dimmer into the Lutron ios app so when I call the dimmer via the app (Geofencing) so I can have a feedback for the integration.
    Could you add this feature into the app?

Thank you

Lutron Technical Support
    I will forward this request on to our development engineers as a possible future feature to the system. Thank you for the suggestion.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Dagobert - what integration system are you using and what are you trying to achieve?

Hi Brian,
    That's great to see your interest into this matter.
    What I want to achieve is to use the Geofence to integrate other equipment like my alarm system, sound system. When the Geofence is trigger and my main door is open I will play a welcome message in sound system, tv will turn on to the news. (My main processor is Crestron)
    Thank you

Dagobert - there is no way today to create a virtual dimmer or scene in the Lutron app, but here's something you could do...

Install a Caseta plug-in lamp dimmer (PD-3PCL-WH) with nothing connected to it (will power up without anything plugged into it). Add the dimmer to the Lutron app then create a manual scene in the app that turns on just that plug-in dimmer. Then set up geofencing in the Lutron app to trigger the previously mentioned manual scene on arrival. The Crestron system can monitor when that scene turns on and can then trigger other things to happen with your A/V and security equipment. Crestron has an integration driver that works with Caseta and you can download it by clicking on the Crestron link at the bottom of this page, http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/ProProducts.aspx. The driver only works with the Smart Bridge PRO, so you need to make sure you have that too.

I realize this solution requires you to purchase another piece of hardware, but for a minimal cost you can achieve what you are looking for. Hope this helps!

6. Thanks Dagobert thanked for this post
    Thank you Eric!
    That's a good idea. I think I have another idea that could work with having to install another dimmer. When the Geofence is trigger I could call a light preset in my lobby which I need anyway but when I call this preset a call a specific percentage so when the Crestron (Analog Equate) read that specific value it call the devices I need. I think that could work, I'm gona try it to see if that work and if I can play with the value I could call a value that I cannot trig by accident when I increase the light. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
    I realize this solution requires you to purchase another piece of hardware, but for a minimal cost you can achieve what you are looking for. Hope this helps!
    That plug-in dimmer can then be factory reset and re-used elsewhere, but bridge will not know that - it will still be showing this dimmer and allowing to control it - so the result will be a "virtual dimmer", with no extra hardware cost.

9. Thanks Dagobert thanked for this post
    Likes Dagobert liked this post
    If that work you are a genius! Hopefully it's like you said and it's not removed from the bridge when I do a reset. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    That plug-in dimmer can then be factory reset and re-used elsewhere, but bridge will not know that - it will still be showing this dimmer and allowing to control it - so the result will be a "virtual dimmer", with no extra hardware cost.
    Dagobert - I would not recommend this. If you factory reset the dimmer and your Smart Bridge is on and within range it will indeed remove the dimmer from the system and the app. If you power down your Smart Bridge and then factory reset the dimmer, the dimmer will still show up in the app because the Smart Bridge never received the reset command. You would not be able to re-add this dimmer to the app or control it from the app since the bridge/app didn't know you reset it. Also, if you try to create a scene that affects the dimmer you factory reset, the app won't allow it since it won't hear a message back from the removed device.

You'll either want to do what I mentioned previously or use your idea of setting a specific level on one of your existing dimmers.

12. Thanks Dagobert thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
    if you try to create a scene that affects the dimmer you factory reset, the app won't allow it since it won't hear a message back from the removed device.
    Eric, that is good to know. And I can confirm it here - scene can not be created with deactivated device. I guess you'd have to create all the scenes in advance! :)

14. Thanks Dagobert thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast